Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 3rds Vs Matlock V's Away 17/01/09

2 posters

Go down

Ladies 3rds Vs Matlock V's Away 17/01/09 Empty Ladies 3rds Vs Matlock V's Away 17/01/09

Post  Angie Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:38 pm

A heavy frost on Saturday 10th Jan saw the cancellation of the women's thirds first game of the new year, much to the approval of the majority of the team, I for one cranked up the central heating and went back to bed! I think the saying has something to do with 'balls' and 'brass monkeys'!

So the 17th Jan saw the the first actual game of the second half of the season. It has to be said that this game was at a much more socialable hour, 2:30pm push-back and even the British weather had made the effort to turn out, a bright sunny afternoon, not too hot not too cold, just right if you're running around, not so good if you're spectating!!

Matlock V's are a young side and young means speedy! We were veteran's in comparison! We were hoping to use our noodles, our wisdom if you will, to out smart, out manouver and more importantly do less running than our opponents!! We welcome with open arms young Sam, who supporting a knee injury was prepared to wave the Asterdale flag (and play a bit of hockey!)

Anyway enough of the pre-amble; to the juicy post match run down. In the first ten minutes we had the youngsters on the run, our cunning plan was working! They were chasing the ball while we were passing around them, trouble was they were pretty much eveywhere! To begin with we had a few good opportunities in their D but they literally swarmed us, stole the ball back and were on the attack. They made it into our D and were some how awarded a short. Annie nicely asserting herself to the backline defense kept everyone in the picture and well organised to deny their shot on goal.

It was after this point we some how lost it, not quite being sure what 'it' is but Matlock V's seemed to be on top. 20 minutes in and the tiniest of Matlock players launched the ball at Izzy who I'm sure has some sort of ability to see things in slow motion as she amazingly blocked the strike with her padded hand. The ball dropped somewhere in front of Annie who in the panic of the moment tried to clear it off the back line when she was tackled by a Matlock player who nipped it over the goal line. An unfortunate first goal conceeded.

Half time whistle, not a mince pie too soon! I for one was feeling the effects of christmas indulgence or should I say over indulgence!! As Dan was umpiring we thank Will for stepping in and being Dan's messenger boy! With a few words of advice and encouragement we had it all to play for. Some how we were struggling to keep our formation and they marked us tightly and effectively. Having said this they played with a lot forwards and left their defense weak, which when we made a break away runs left them wide open. Jen, in centre forward always seemed to appear just where we needed her and provided a valuable outlet to stretch the play. As I intercepted a pass atop our D switching quickly on to Jen we continued our run with some timely square passes all the way to firing zone! Jen made a neat square pass from the right, out of the goalies reach and over to me, unluckily, with too much speed I just didn't quite get the angle and the ball nicked off the outside of the post and off the backline. Gutted!

On the attack again, Matlock took a sneakily quick sideline hit in whilst our defense were still re-arranging themselves, before we knew it they'd scored their second. An unfortunate give-away but a lesson learned! With tired turkey legs we carried on, Jen some how found the legs to make a another break away run up the centre and like a weird de ja vu she narrowly missed the goal from the left post.

Matlock made their third and final goal with an absolute belter of a strike from way way outside the D, Izzy unsure if it had touched a stick inside the D had no choice but to clear it, unfortunately she cleared into the path of well placed opportunist Matlock player who tapped in on target.

Individual efforts all deserve an A star, everyone worked hard and all were feeling the ache of the lengthy christmas break! With Izzy in goal and a confident defence, including the addition of newcomer Sam, I am sure without their strength we would have conceeded more goals. I have failed to mention the amount of times I kicked the ball and fell over and my new trick of just throwing my stick at the ball, all of which I am coming to the conclusion do not help us win!

Thanks Dan for umpiring the game and Will for acting as the go-between at half time!

Thanks and well done must go to Nikki and Jen who, in Annie's pre-match absence, acted to ensure we had 15 players to start this half of the season.

Angie

Back to top Go down

Ladies 3rds Vs Matlock V's Away 17/01/09 Empty Match awards

Post  Annie Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:25 am

Angie - Don't forget the Donkey Award.
It goes to you for this match for what has now been termed 'Doing an Angie.' And I must say, you do it in style. Cool

Man of the Match goes to Rachel.

Thanks again to Dan for umpiring. I know it was frustrating when you really wanted to coach, esp as we had 4 subs!
Annie
Annie

Back to top Go down