Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 1st XI End of season report.

5 posters

Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of season report. Empty Ladies 1st XI End of season report.

Post  Andy Taylor Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:31 am

Warning

Get comfortable

Open the wine

Make sure you’ve a full battery charge on the lap top

It’s a big one.

Ladies 1st XI End of season report.

So the season is at it’s close and we can look forward to our 3rd consecutive season in Midlands Hockey thanks to a great team effort once again.

Pre-season was a great opportunity for new players to be given the chance to impress and existing players to re-establish their position within the team. With a record of played 4 won 4 all was looking positive for the season ahead.

We started our league campaign away at Cannock on the water, a game that saw us compete well, but eventually run out losers 1-3.

The following week we got our 1st points of the season with a 2-1 home win against Southwell Brincliffe thanks to a “Brace from Skaife”. We were on our way.

Next in the firing line was an away fixture at Tamworth who would eventually win the league. A 5-2 defeat was hard to take but there were many contributory factors in the loss including some incredible poor decision making from the officials and I also take this one on the chin with a change in tactics at the start of the match from the usual formation costing us dear. Sorry girls.

So 3 games and 3 pts, not the ideal start but we started to show our class over the next 2 weeks with a comfortable home win 2-0 v West Bridgford and then a fantastic away victory at Ashbourne 4-2, with Anna and Marie both scoring 2 each.

The end of October saw us travel to Loughborough Students and to be fair we were outclassed as Loughbrough ran out 3-0 winners. As always we fought to the bitter end but the score was about right.

Last season we suffered with conceding goals in the final few minutes of the match and when Shrewsbury visited us it came back to haunt us again as they scored with the final touch of the game to take victory 1-2. A result they did not deserve.

Next up was the away fixture against our Derbyshire rivals Matlock in a very tense but exciting match. For 35 minutes we caved to the pressure of Matlock’s aggressive tactics and they went in at ½ time 1-0 up, but things were to change. We totally dominated the 2nd half and a terrific waist high volley from close range by Helena gave us a share of the points we totally deserved.

Last season Staveley dominated Derbyshire just as we had done 2 years ago but the step up to Midlands was clearly a step too far for them as we ran out very very comfortable 5-0 winners with 4 different scorers and Taran leading the way with a brace.

So the ½ way stage came and our record stood at PL 9 W 4 D 1 L 4 position 5th.

This was a little disappointing but we knew that we could easily come good in the 2nd ½ of the campaign and following last seasons record of winning our 1st game and not getting a 2nd victory until February, the improvement was there to see.

So the 2nd half started as the 1st did with defeat again to Cannock, they were simply too good for us this day and deserved the win 0-4.

Now to face Brincliffe again, always a tough fixture in the biting cold of Southwell on a frosty pitch, but a superb Hat-Trick from Anna saw us comfortable winners 3-0.

Home v Tamworth was our next encounter and despite a 0-3 score line we played some of our best Hockey but again it just wasn’t our day.

Ok….. West Bridgford away 13.2.10
Embarassed (Now known as Black Saturday) Embarassed

Every season we seem to have one game were we just don’t perform to our required standards. A game that sends everyone’s emotions into turmoil, a game that left me personally angry, furious, livid, a game that left the players feeling just the same and shocked beyond comprehension. This one was this years.

A quite shocking 1st half display left us 3-0 down and a 4th goal in the 2nd half gave us a spanking that we will not forget. But…… as usual we all learned our lessons and would do everything in our power to ensure that this would never occur again this season. (That Tuesdays training was as intense as I have ever seen at this club, every player showing the passion within them to ensure no repeat of this performance)

The following Saturday we had the chance to put things right and complete the double over Ashbourne, pushing them further towards almost certain relegation. A slick display put Ashbourne to the sword and with goals from Goose and Anna seeing us home with a 2-0 win,

THE GAME OF THE SEASON

27.2.10 Home v Loughborough Students.

You all know that I can wax lyrical with ease but the performance this day was quite simply the best I have ever seen.

The whole squad of 14 played their part with some breathtaking play. For huge periods of the game Loughborough just couldn’t get hold of the ball as we passed it around them with unbelievable style and pace. How the score was 0-0 at ½ time we didn’t know.

The 2nd half was a personal triumph for Anna but capped a brilliant huge step up in class from the whole team in regards to the overall performance.

Anna was once told by Loughbrough as a student that she wasn’t good enough to play at a level she knew she was capable of, boy did she make them eat their words as she scored her 2nd hat trick of the season with great joy and style. This was quite simply the greatest performance I have seen in 3 years at the club. Just perfect.

With 3 games now to go we knew just 3 points would see us safe for another season, but the long trip away to Shrewsbury saw us travel very light on numbers and come out on the end of another 2-1 defeat. The feeling of being robbed again due to very questionable standards of umpiring and a couple of our own defensive lapses left a sour taste in the mouth. But after the results came in later that day we knew 3 points next week would still see us Midlands bound next year. We never make things easy for ourselves.

If anyone wanted to see just what Midlands means to this team they should have been on pitch-side at our final Home league match versus our huge rivals Matlock.

An early goal from Rachael and a well-worked penalty corner from Anna saw us 2-0 up at ½ time and the sound of silence from the Matlock bench was a joy to hear.

Matlock scored a lucky reply early in the 2nd half but we were not to be outdone in our search for assurance of Midlands Hockey next year with a win today. It was left to the screaming Taran to secure victory and send our own bench into huge celebrations with a superb goal on 68 mins. MIDLANDS HOCKEY WAS OURS AGAIN !!!!!

The final away match of the season was supposed to be a celebration chilled out game but Staveley had other ideas, coming out with the intention to keep the scoring down by whatever means possible.

This was to be a great way to sign off the season as Kath Lee's smile I think is still beaming weeks later after a terrific hat trick, yes you read it right Kath Lee with 3 and they were all class goals. Anna scored a great pair too but goal of the match was Tarans as with her back to goal she received the ball, spun on the spot 540 degrees and slotted home past a totally bemused keeper and defence. What a way to end the season. Staveley 0 – 6 Derby.

The season ends with a record of:

Pl 18….W 9….D 1….L 8….Pts 28

Position 5th clear by 9 pts.

Its been a quite fantastic season again with a great bunch of committed ladies and a quite brilliant umpire in Nigel.

The commitment levels shown from all have been huge and I want to give you a couple of examples:

Anna, who travelled back from holiday in the far east, a journey taking almost 36 hours, who without sleep then drove up from Heathrow on the morning of the game just for a friendly !

Helena, who still travelled with us to play at Loughborough when she so wanted to be at daughter Lizzy’s side at her 1st England trials games in Cannock. (She did make it to Lizzy for the rest of the weekend and Lizzy unfortunately after a couple of months of trials just missed out in the final cut. Next season Lizzy)

Ali, as tough as she appears, it’s was quite remarkable for me to find out in October that she had been playing for over a month with a broken thumb! The pain must have been excruciating. It was great to have her back after Christmas.

12 – 14 players almost every week at training come rain or shine. I can’t ask for anymore.

New players have come in, established players have gone out, but the teams ethic of commitment to each other and the club have remained solid.

This season its been a welcome change to have had very few tears of sadness and frustration, replacing them with so many tears of joy and laughter which is fantastic in such a high pressure atmosphere of Midlands Hockey and the Ladies 1st XI. Let me give you a few examples:

HELENA

We are sat at Loughborough after the match, Helena turns to the team and declares “I have some great insider news on Matlock”

With huge anticipation we all leaned in to hear what she knew, “On their penalty corners they move the ball sideways!” she declared. “Which way?” I asked…..

A red faced Helena declared “”I don’t know”. Thanks Hels.

KATH

The award of the Wig of Wonderment to Kath at Ashbourne was a site to behold as she insisted on no fewer than 3 occasions I re-take her photograph, as she was not happy how it came out – vanity? Very funny but the photo came out great Kath.

THERESA

I was going to regale one story about 'T' but there have been at least 20 funny ones I couldn’t decide which one was best, so here’s a brief outline of some:

The night she got a lift home from training, she walks into the house and her husband asks, “where’s the car?” …… Guess who had forgotten that she had actually driven to training herself in their car. TAXI for ‘T’ back to Wilstorpe.

The Journey to Southwell Brincliffe. Despite several pone calls to ‘T’ she would not believe she was following the wrong car, only when the car she had been following pulled on to his driveway in Mansfield did she accept she may be wrong!

In the changing rooms at Bridgford when other team members convinced her that the music she could hear (Lisa’s phone) was actually being piped out of the Fire Sensor on the ceiling. She thought that was cool.

On coming onto the pitch as sub v Shrewsbury, I explained to her I needed her to cover initially at left half, I was faced with the reply “which side is left again?”

Believe me I could go on and on….. Theresa you have been an absolute star and we wouldn’t replace you for the world.

AMANDA

One of the best excuses for being late to the team meeting I have ever heard came from these sweet lips. “Sorry I’m late, I’ve bought a new Bra and I don't know how to fasten it so I’ve had to go to my mum’s for help”. How do you answer that.

KELLY

One statement says it all…… Day off sat at home watching Trisha !!! Getting caught up in the emotion of the programme and ending up crying. Worst of all telling everyone via facebook about it……………….. WWWUUUSSS.

I could go on. Great times.

I have to give a special mention to Nigel. Again this season we have realised just how lucky we are to have him within our ranks. The standard of umpiring across our league this season has again – to be generous – not been the best. But throughout Nigel has remained the constant in respect to the highest of standards being maintained. We as a Club are always complimented on his ability not just at our home fixtures but also when he travels the length and breadth of the Midlands Umpiring on our behalf. Nigel you are an absolute star and if I may quote the weekly reply on the match report from Lisa – AWESOME NIGEL. Thanks mate.

As we look forward to next season we can allow ourselves a thought that we are now becoming one of the teams to beat in Midlands and most certainly not an easy team to play against.

Within Derbyshire we can be very proud that we have now overtaken in the rankings our long time nemesis of Ashbourne, beating them home and away this season.

Add on to this last seasons runaway Derbyshire Champions Staveley who also felt our full force conceding 11 goals without reply in 2 games.

Finally Matlock also failed to beat us this year, getting a very lucky draw at Wirksworth and being soundly beaten at Wilsthorpe.

The tide has clearly changed in the Derbyshire Ladies county-wide pecking order.

We have only National League Belper 1’s, Midlands Prem Matlock 1’s and Mids Div 2 Belper ahead of us. This is a great achievement ladies in just 3 short years.

All the hard work has paid off, the cold training nights through the wind and rain, even through the snow in January when 12 players still turned up. We can be proud of the improvements we have made again this season.

The whole team is just one solid committed unit, full of passion and pride that is an absolute pleasure to coach and I have the honour of being able to call each of these ladies my friends.

I cannot wait for next season to start, if we can just take that next step up and with a little bit of luck, we may surprise a few teams and that top 3 spot is most certainly within our grasp.

Bring it on Girls.

I look forward to seeing you all back in pre-season starting in August and enjoying another great season ahead in 2010/2011.

affraid IT’S BEEN EMOTIONAL affraid

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of season report. Empty Re: Ladies 1st XI End of season report.

Post  Admin Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:21 am

Great report Andy!
How you can remember all that I don't know.
It's been a fantastic season and I have enjoyed every min of it.
Here's to next season. See you all at the end of season dinner xx Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of season report. Empty Re: Ladies 1st XI End of season report.

Post  KellyO Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks for that write up (as well as your continued dedication to us at matches, training, and taking the mick on facebook) Andy. I for one has loved the season and it has been a pleasure to be part of the team spirit - the only thing missing for 50% of the games is our Nige (Awesome). I am looking forward to an 'easy' summer league but bring on next season........... xxx
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of season report. Empty Wow.. I've only just finished reading it..!!!!

Post  nigel Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Andy,

What a great summary of the season.

This season has had more laughter, and more great performances than last. Yes there has been disappointments, but these are over shadowed by some fabulous performances against Matlock and the Students... Both were great games, and I'm glad i could be there to witness them. Very Happy Very Happy

Like Kelly said, although i've only seen 50% of the games, it truly has been an honour for you to have me umpiring, or is that the other way round.!!! lol! lol! .. Thanks for the shout out in your report Andy, and i'll see you on the panel next year.. JOKING!!!!!!

My whistle is away for the summer, but I will definitely come and watch most summer league games... So see you all then Very Happy

Nigel
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of season report. Empty what a recap

Post  alison kerr Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:17 pm

well - what a way to summarise the season. It has quite simply been full of emotion, adrenaline and very addictive. I have to say i found it really hard being out of action, and am missing you all already. At least I have the dinner dance and summer league to look forward to. Many thanks Andy for the ongoing support you give to all of us, Nigel for the great umpiring and everyone else for the great hockey and friendships you all offer. ( can you tell I've been watching glee back to back? Starts again tomorrow - don't miss it!) Very Happy
lots of love
ali

alison kerr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down