Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's

4 posters

Go down

Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's Empty Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's

Post  Andy Taylor Mon May 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Derby Ladies 1st XI under the guise of DERBY TIGERS ran out runners up in today’s Rolls Royce 7’s tournament, losing the Final on penalty strokes to Chestnuts 2-4, but what a day.

With the group games only lasting 16 mins it was very important that we started strongly and that’s exactly what we did.

The League Games

Under the captaincy of Taran, a 5-0 thumping of Barton was the perfect start, not just for gaining us a vital bonus point but also in the loudest possible way we announced to all we were here not just to take part but to try and win!

The long break before our next group game didn’t slow us down though as Findern were the next team to be hit, again a 5-0 score-line showed we should not be taken lightly.

Our 3rd match of the day saw Matlock face the rampant Derby machine, harder opposition I must admit but we deservedly ran out winners this time 2-0 and secured our place in the semis’ with 1 game to go.

Our final group match was against the hosts Rolls Royce 1’s. With the team under instruction to take it easy and save something for the up and coming semi a 1-0 win sufficed, although it could have been a lot more.

So to the Semi-Final.

Winning our group meant that we avoided our nemesis Chestnuts and faced an old enemy in the shape of Ilkeston.

We set out to make sure of victory and our path to the final as soon as possible but under the awareness that anything can happen in such short games. It turned out though that I need not have worried as the whole team played superbly and ran out comfortable winners 5-0, AGAIN!

Meanwile on the other pitch Matlock lost 1-2 to Chestnuts to set up the final I think everyone expected, especially after the first few pool match results were in.

The Final

As we looked at our opponents the quality was I have to admit, very very very daunting.

With current national league players from Belper, Cannock and Beeston all in the Chestnuts squad we could have been forgiven for thinking “at least we made the final” but the girls did me proud.

2 periods of 12 minutes saw some end to end play with Derby having certainly 2 great chances to score and Chestnuts the same, but the game finished in a 0-0 draw.

So to the lottery of Penalty Strokes. The end was all about the Chestnuts keeper making 2 terrific saves and their quality players leaving Lisa in goal with no chance and they ran out 4-2 winners. Gutted.

The day though was just full of positives.

Take the Glory Goal Scorers

18 goals in 6 matches

Sally x 4
Taran x 4
Laura x 4

Kelly x 2
Kath x 2

Ruth x 1
Lizzy x 1

Just as important if not more so the defence.

Lisa, Kelly & Ali.

6 matches NO GOALS CONCEEDED what a huge difference that made.

The overall performance.

Despite playing on grass we still played our passing hockey game even so far as transferring around the back and more importantly within the 'D' for our goals. The determination shown by all was huge with 100% given from start to finish, all playing with belief in each other and a smile.

Some players wanted proof as to how far we have progressed from just 12 months ago in Derbyshire, if you want to know ask Ilkeston (5-0 in 20 mins), Findern (5-0 in 16 mins), with our foot off the gas Matlock (2-0), good games, great results.

Captain Taran led all day by example, but player of the tournament was without doubt ALI KERR.

Her performance was absolutely exemplary, she ran and ran in every match like a Duracell Bunny, her covering and positional play was that of a very good Midlands Standard player that she undoubtably is. She tackled as tenaciously as ever and distributed the ball with calmness and accuracy over and over again. A fantastic performance.

Well done everyone and a big thanks to all who came along today to support the club. I’m sorry I don’t have a report on DERBY LIONS, but I hope someone from the team will post soon.

Squad

Taran (CPT)
Lisa Richardson
Ali Kerr
Kelly Olubodun
Ruth Richardson
Lizzy Honnarmond
Laura Skaife
Kath Lee
Sally Fenton

Andy Taylor (Coach)

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Mon May 04, 2009 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's Empty Re: Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's

Post  Marie Dymond Mon May 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Well done girls - sounds like a great day!!
There must have been some awsome defending and equally great attacking!
Marie
xxx
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's Empty Re: Derby lose out on Penalties but take Runners Up Spot at Royce's 7's

Post  Taran Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Firstly Andy a big Thank you for giving me the opportunity of being captain. I thouroughly enjoyed my role (well, once everyone stopped asking me question after question after question and stopped taking the mickey - mentioning no names - KELLY!!!).

Fantastic effort by all those involved and once again I was very proud to be part of such a team.

Oh and one more thing to say 'Calm Down Dorothy'!!!! lol!
Taran
Taran

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah not Rachel but now Dorothy! Lol.

Sally....I would'nt take that from Taran if I were you! lol!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down