Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey

+2
Anna
Andy Taylor
6 posters

Go down

Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey Empty Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 am

Derby Ladies 1st XI 3 – 2 Matlock Ladies 2nd XI

Midlands assured for 2010-2011 season.

So…………………….

A full squad of 14 today, all setting out knowing just a single point would see us safe for our 3rd consecutive season of Midlands hockey. But that was never going to be our target, a win was all that would satisfy the hunger in each and every players eyes.

We started like a freight train pushing back Matlock from the first whistle with quick ball movement and terrific passing, seeing us able to dominate the early exchanges.

Just 3 minutes in we had a succession of penalty corners but failed to convert any of our chances, but we didn’t have to wait long for the opening goal.

Today on 4 minutes it was Anna’s turn to be provider as she found space just outside the ‘d’ and slipped a great ball through to Rachael to fire in a bullet strike and send the bench into raptures.

Derby 1 – 0 Matlock.

Despite some robust tackling and a lot of effort from Matlock it appeared that they just couldn’t cope with the attacking flare and Midfield guile of a Derby team intent on gaining all 3 pts.

On 24 minutes the ever reliable Anna came to the party with another great goal. A penalty corner was won and following team orders it was Anna who was to take her opportunity and crash home a quite brilliant strike just inside the post past a helpless keeper to again send the bench and the whole team into orbit with celebrations as we knew that we were getting close to meeting today’s target of 3 pts.

Derby 2 – 0 Matlock

But we never make it easy as those who have come along to see us will know.

On 33 mins Matlock, from a rare attack, won a penalty corner, the injection was poor the movement was poorly executed but sometimes it’s the bobbles and miss-hits that beat even the best of defences and so it was today as somehow the ball found its way to the Matlock fwd just a few inches off the line to deflect the ball in.

½ time

Derby 2 – 1 Matlock

With so much at stake today it was no surprise that the 2nd half drifted away into a very scrappy affair but Matlock did come at us very hard from the off.

They continually found space to attack from deep with their old school tactics of Crash ‘em and Bash ‘em but we held strong and resilient in defence and saw out most attacks.

It wouldn’t be an end of season high tension filled game though for the ladies 1st XI if we didn’t make things hard for ourselves.

On 60 mins from an unfortunate misjudgement we were robbed of the ball on the top of the ‘d’ and following a melee inside the ‘d’ the Matlock forward got her shot away only to see it stopped on the line by a big left foot from Amanda - nothing she could do about it but a penalty stroke was duly awarded to Matlock.

As the players gathered I have to admit I couldn’t bare to watch, but the yelps of delight from the Derby Players after the whistle and Lisa collecting the ball from behind the goal meant Matlock had missed there opportunity and the score remained at Derby 2 – 1 Matlock.

As the clock began to run down again we won a succession of penalty corners. I tried to get the message over to do Elvis and lift the shot as the keeper just dived to the floor at every opportunity but it appeared to fall on deaf ears…………… to all but one person.

From our final PC “Elvis” came the call, the move was executed to perfection and the keeper made a great save, but the rebound fell to Taran who with fantastic calm and poise lifted the ball over the prostrate keeper to send the whole of Wilsthorpe into raptures as Safety was undoubtedly secured.

Derby 3 – 1 Matlock

There was however a twist in the tail as extra time seemed to go on forever – 6 minutes in total ! Talk about nerve racking especially as Matlock did manage to score again from what clearly looked like a back stick shot from the forward just 2 yards from goal (Lisa assures me it was so clear) but to be fair there were a lot of bodies in the way of the umpires and neither really got a clear view.

So the clock ran down, the whistle finally blew, and Derby finally secured Midlands Hockey for the 3rd consecutive season.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT.

Derby 3 – 2 Matlock

Summary

The whole team of 14 today played their hearts out, I said in the team meet prior to the match that someone today would make themselves a hero …. Well you know what I was wrong… there were 14 heros out there.

At times today we looked magnificent, with every department, Defenders, Midfield and Forwards all massively contributing to a great win.

I am a very proud coach tonight and as a team we are ecstatic at the thoughts of Cannock and possibly Loughborough coming back to Wilsthorpe again next season.

This is the standard of Hockey we have worked so hard for and this is the standard of Hockey that we intend to maintain for years to come.

If you look at our record this year against our other Derbyshire opponents in Midlands its quite impressive:

Ashbourne (H) Won 2-0
Ashbourne (A) Won 4-2

Matlock (A) Draw 1-1
Matlock (H) Won 3-2

Staveley (H) Won 5-0
Staveley (A) Next Week

5 fixtures Won 4 Draw 1 Lost 0

The tide in Derbyshire is changing.

A Very Very happy coach tonight.

Thanks Ladies you are an absolute credit to the club.

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey Empty Re: Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey

Post  Anna Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am

Woohoo!! Very Happy
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey Empty Re: Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey

Post  Admin Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:13 am

I'm loving it! Loving it loving it loving it!

(Stroke was for a foot on the line) Thanks Amanda cheers

It's great that this year we have secured our place with 1 game in hand (last season it was taken down to the last game) so we can go to Stavely still adament of winning but with a relaxed and chilled out attitude.

Well done on scoring Rach, Anna & Taran and thanks to the rest of you for all playing your part in a gutsy and hard battled game. I'm a proud Vice Captain Very Happy

Last edited by Admin on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyO Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:59 am

Is Vise the same as Vice.........

Well done girlies. Good effort put in by all. I am chuffed to bits with the result and I hope we can continue to play the same standard we have been doing the last few weeks, next season.

Nice goals Anna and Taran. Rach - I am sure yours was awsome too but I just didn't see it!! x

Obviously Nige, you were awsome too.

See you all Tues. xxxx
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Well Ladies (and Coach), what can i say.... Its not normally i'm lost for words but FANTASTIC.......... and truly AWESOME umpiring yesterday lol!

Seriously though, the last 2 home games, and the performances you ALL put in those 2 games against very good oposition just proves that you so deserved to stay in the midlands league.

It has been a pleasure umpiring your games (well home games at least) Note to Midlands committee there!!!! Smile

See you all at on Tuesday, and of course the end of season dinner, for a Jagerbombs or 2.....

Thanks Kelly for the shout out.. Wink

Oh, nearly forgot...... AWESOME LISA.. Laughing Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Nigel
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 pm

make it 3 or 4 Nigel!

Your semi decent umpiring performances probably deserve it! lol!
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:16 pm

There's normal measures and theres Anna's measures. So 3 or 4 means half of bottle. Very Happy Very Happy...

I'll have 3 or 4 if Marie has 1 or 2, as i think she really enjoyed the Jagerbomb at the quiz night...!!!!
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:18 pm

don't blame my measures!! Very Happy

I'll make sure Marie has a few jagerbombs to celebrate!!
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:49 pm

As it's going to be my night of drinking again, can I have one? I will only have 1 as I have now become a complete light weight....just like Kelly!

Thanks Nige, as it's now a tradition for me and you to call each other awesome, it's only right for me to say that, yes Nigel you were truly AWESOME!!!!

Tra
cheers
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI see off Matlock to secure season number 3 in Midlands Hockey Empty beer beer beer

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:44 am

Jagerbombs with Gunniess chasers.................. what a good night will be had !!! lol!
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marie Dymond Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I hope you lot aren't going to stitch me up! I may have 1 or 2 ..... but just remember Nige, it will be your job to get me back to Belper!

On a more serious note ... Well done girls! Another great performance on Saturday. It's going to be so nice going to Stavely knowing that we are already safe - I still want to win though!!

Sorry I won't be at training, (got a parents evening), so see you all on Saturday! Don't forget your money for your dinner ticket!
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down