Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI

4 posters

Go down

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI Empty 50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:51 am

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI

Derby Lds 1st XI 3 - 1 Kettering Lds 2nd XI

Once again this week saw the ladies and management team go through real lows followed by real highs and that was just in the Gym before we even got on to the pitch.

Myself (Coach) was a little late this morning due to the unfortunate bereavement at 8 am of Andrea’s (my wife) mother following a long illness and I want to take the opportunity to give huge public thanks to everyone for their messages of support for Andrea and I, it was very much appreciated.

With the closeness of the team it was no surprise that the feeling in the pre match meeting was a little subdued, but both Nigel and I had some news that would hopefully raise some of the spirits back up – as announced by Nigel - the Ladies 1st XI have secured the services of a coach for next season going by the nick-name of Boogie Drew ! A name a certain ex-redcoat went by in his younger days, yes I’m staying!

So spirits were raised and the celebration biscuits with a 50 in pink and blue icing on them helped remind all what a big day this was as we celebrate our 50th consecutive match in midlands.

This along with the fact that despite only getting 1 point this ½ of the season we could today still secure our Midlands status for another year with a win against a team we have never beaten before in Kettering, the team were absolutely focussed on the task ahead.

To the match………….

Despite the call for a controlled clean passing game we found ourselves up against it early doors with Kettering playing the pressing game superbly making it very difficult for us to break out of defence cleanly. With both Rachael and Becky suffering with slight illness (one of these being self-induced hmmmm wonder who ? !!) we did struggle at times to convert good attacking play into anything more but we always felt we would come through the game ok.

But we were about to get a shock which would actually help everyone focus on the task ahead.

On 24 mins as Kettering broke out from the back a scrambled midfield move saw them eventually find their striker clean through on Lisa’s goal, as she shot Lisa dived at her feet and blocked the 1st attempt but the ball broke back to the striker who took it round the marooned Lisa and shot at an open goal, however a quite brilliant covering run from Beth saw her put her body on the line and dive at the ball to stop an almost certain goal. Her dive though resulted in the ball hitting her body on the line to concede a clear Penalty Stroke, but this was to be the catalyst for a great turn around in attitude and more importantly performance.

As the Kettering striker composed herself it was time for Lisa to show just what we have been saying for years now, just what a great keeper she is. The striker picked her spot tight inside the right post but Lisa read it perfectly and dived like a salmon to cleanly save the stroke much to the delight of all watching.

What Lisa didn’t see though was that as she was lining up for her moment of glory Skipper Marie was getting an ear bashing from Coach to pick the team up vocally as we just weren’t playing well enough.

This along with Lisa's moment of wonderment turned the game completely around.

For the rest of the ½ we dominated play and were unlucky not to go in at the ½ with some kind of a lead, but once again some dubious away umpiring came to the fore saving Kettering on several occasions.

½ time Derby 0 – 0 Kettering.

The team talk revolved around re-emphasing just what our game is about and the style that was sure to get us a positive outcome. With the team now fired up and fighting to make sure we play midlands again next season we set about our task looking like a different team.

Inside the first 5 mins of the half we had forced 2 P C’s and the 2nd of these saw a clear “Elvis Move” which following the first save was finished of by our glorious skipper Marie at the far post to start the scoring.

Derby 1-0 Kettering 39 mins Marie Dymond

Just 4 minutes later another terrific attacking move saw an imperious Laura smash home a 2nd but the scream of delight came from Taran – still don’t know why LOL

Derby 2-0 Kettering 43 Mins Laura Skaife

With Derby now completely in control the twin sweepers of Laura and Kelly along with Kath in central midfield were totally dominating proceedings, but it was future Captain and Birthday girl Rachael that was to have a major part in our 3rd as following a diet last night of Vodka and who knows what else followed this morning by a portion of FUDGE BROWNIES it was no surprise that she found herself having to leave the field of play to …………… I don’t think you need me to describe what Rachael did next, it was not pretty.

But with Rachael of the park it meant I had to re-shuffle the team a little, so I decided to go back to a bit of old school and took Amanda off the back line position of right back and play her at centre forward. The last time I took a gamble like this it was to put Ali up front and she scored, could lightning strike twice?????

A sweet midfield move to Kath saw Laura make a terrific lead run passed her, Kath played a pin point ball to Laura releasing her to run at goal 1 on 1 with the keeper, as she looked to her right she saw the new forward in AMANDA busting a lung to get along side, Skaifey drove into the D, Amanda made it with her, Skaifey drew the keeper, Amanda was still with her, Skaifey slipped the ball perfectly square to Amanda 12 yards out with an open goal, would she shoot? Would she score? For what seemed an eternity (2 seconds) I waited but Amanda with great poise and calmness of thought just ran towards the goal with the ball and finally hit it when she knew she wouldn't miss – about 14 inches out ! The look on her face and the teams celebrations was absolutely priceless, 1st goal of the season but one that would assure us of our Midlands place next season, way to go Manda ! - Rachael was still under the tree at this stage !

Derby 3-0 Kettering 52 Mins Amanda Petrie

With the match now settled– and Rachael back on the pitch after her brief Vacation to the land of blurrrrrggg – Amanda settled back into her normal right back slot and the team began to see out the rest of the match.

As time ran down Kettering did score a consolation goal but they would not spoil the day for us.

Derby 3-1 Kettering 63 mins

The final whistle saw us get back to winning ways, seal next seasons Midlands League Place and finally settle everyones nerves about our immediate future as a team next year.

MOM ----- Joint winners – Marie Dymond and Laura Skaife

Coaches additional notes.

Back up to 4th in the league with 3rd place a distinct possibility. Great comeback today following the previous weeks upset and turmoil.

Everyone contributed again today but I want to single out one in particular, Marie.

She showed an outstanding contributions in vocally leading the team with passion and control along with stunning play and tackling – the new stick is obviously working. You will be missed as skipper next season but what a bonus for the incumbent Rachael to have you in the team.

My final 2 mentions go firstly to Bex who played throughout with a huge headache - symptoms of a migraine - that courage you showed today was fantastic, and finally Lisa, you are truly a great player and we are lucky to have you.

Finally thanks again to everyone for getting us into Midlands for a 4th successive season, the first 50 games have been stunning and I feel there are still more good times to come.

Go team Derby

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI 190446_207932039217108_100000009416931_824401_1768321_s
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI Empty I am salmon!

Post  Admin Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks for the report Andy and our thoughts are with you and your family today xx

As a team we had a lot to celebrate today, 3 Birthdays, our 50th game, a confident win & best of all and I'm sure the others will agree Andy is staying! Andy knows how much he means to us all (or he should after our reaction today when we were told).

Well done today girls, and yes we had a shocking first half but we stuck together in true Derby Asterdale style and cleared for a win. I'm the proudest keeper around today.

Nigel awesome!

See you all Tuesday and for the first time in weeks I'm gonna say 'bring on Saturday' Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI Empty Re: 50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI

Post  nigel Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 am

Andy, my thoughts are with you, Andrea and the rest of
the family. I know it couldnt of been easy for you today, so my deepest thanks for today.

Thanks also to you and Andrea on your decision to stay. As lisa says, you could tell when I told them, how much you mean to them and the manager of course!!! Lol Please don't let me keep secrets again... It was so hard not to blab. SmileSmile

I'm not going to mention the first half, just to say it took a while for us to wake up and start playing the hockey that we are now capable of playing. Oh yeah and a penalty stroke save!!!! Lisa, truly awesome.. I did here Andy say "dive low to your right Lisa" which you did and what a save. SmileSmileSmileSmile

The goals we scored were all so simple, yet executed really well with a lot a skill.. Special congrats to manda on her goal.. If you'd missed from 14" the pants of shame would of gone to you today and all of next season. SmileSmileSmileSmile

Great performances all round today. SmileSmile big shout out to the run Rachael made off the pitch to the tree, it was the play of the match!!!! Urrggghhhh

Well done ladies for securing midlands hockey again next year. SmileSmileSmile very happy Manager tonight.

Pants of shame today went to Theresa, for figuring out she's been wearing her shinpads on the wrong legs, trapping her foot in her car door, and I'm sure there was a 3rd thing??

Lastly, thanks to you all for the card and the wine SmileSmileSmile speaking of, where did I put it!!!

nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI Empty Re: 50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI

Post  Admin Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Theresa also opened her can of redbull, then forgetting that she had opened it, put it in her stick bag so it leaked all over her kit. Legend!!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

50th Consecutive Midlands game ends in celebration for ladies 1st XI Empty Well Done 1sts

Post  Joanna Mullis Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 am

Congratulations to all the ladies 1sts and coaches ! I'm really pleased that you have secured your place next season Very Happy
Joanna Mullis
Joanna Mullis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down