Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor)

+2
nigel
Andy Taylor
6 posters

Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor) Empty Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor)

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:44 am

End of season report

This season has seen a plethora of highs and lows, but ultimately we reached my pre-season target with a great win at home on the last day of the season against Players HC 4-2, ensuring Midlands league Hockey again next season.

Make no mistake this was a great achievement.

The whole feel, shape and attitude of the squad changed so much throughout the season as we all grew into a team capable of more than competing in this league.

As we started the season it felt that there was an air of “we are more than good enough to survive” from elements within the squad, especially following the previous seasons achievements in Derbyshire. Those people now realise you cannot sit back if you want success, you have to work very hard for it.

From where this league was the last time Derby played at Midlands level, hockey has moved on at a tremendous pace. I am sure that Derby were not playing International and National League players last time.

This was highlighted recently when I visited the Ladies International Tournament at Beeston (England under 21’s, 18’s & 16’s) I was sat with some of our squad players watching, we saw several players representing their country that have visited us this year. Hockey’s progression is huge, Midlands is very very very hard.

Having said that we have now proven that we can compete at this level but it takes tremendous hard work and commitment.

Pre Season

Pre-season was nervy, with so many players going through the anxiety of not knowing just who would make the final squad. The extra effort and skill sets required to play at this level saw me have to raise the bar particularly during training sessions which some did initially struggle with. The selection decisions Marie and I had to make became increasingly more difficult as the weeks went on.

1st ½ of the season

The season itself started with the perfect opening fixture, a 3-0 win at home against a good Southwell Brincliffe team who last year were the Notts Champions. Following that result, although we competed well, we didn’t get out 2nd win until the 7th February!

But that doesn’t tell the full story.

 We lost away at Loughborough Students despite dominating the match almost from start to finish.

 Belper came to us with a squad full of junior international and ex-national League players, but they went home more than happy having secured a draw following a great save from their international goalkeeper in the dying seconds of the game.

 Kettering followed in the game which saw an unfortunate injury to Lisa, seeing her not play again until just before Christmas. Our kicking back took over for the last 5 minutes, but an unfortunate loss of control on the line saw Kettering take an undeserved win. (My fault this one, a bad coaching decision)

 Vauxhall came to us and once again a totally dominant performance was spoiled by an unfortunate draw against a team we should beat well. (We would show our capabilities in the 2nd ½ of the season)

 The away fixture at Ashbourne saw us bullied for 15 minutes and concede 2 goals which we couldn’t reply too despite long periods of dominance.

 The following day we went to Towcester in the cup, scored 5, played the best hockey probably ever seen from a Derby team, but still lost 7-5. (its worth reading the old match report on this one. Ali’s comments said it all)

 A tense game against a very good Matlock team at home saw us drag out a 1-1 draw. This was the only game this season where we probably got away with the result.

 The next 2 games saw us draw against Leicester at home and Players away, on both occasions conceding in the last 5 minutes to deny us the win, absolute heartbreak.

1st ½ season

Played 9
Won 1
Draw 5
Lost 3
For 9
Against 10
Points 8

Position 8th

So came Christmas

It was very apparent that if we continued in the same manner as we had started the first half of the league we were in danger of going back to the Derbyshire League.

I was not about to let this happen. Some very hard decisions were made both in regards to individuals and our tactics, but the transformation in respect to results soon became very apparent.

2nd ½ of the season

 Southwell Brincliffe away saw us 3-1 down with 5 mins to go but late late goals from Anna and Ali saw us draw for the 6th time this season.

 Belper away, how lucky were Belper again. We were totally dominant and led 2-1 with 68 mins on the clock only to concede a controversial late goal to draw again 2-2. Draw No 7!

 The following weekend’s double header was the turning point for us. A shocking performance and result on the Saturday against Kettering losing 3-1 saw a very very upset coach. But sometimes there are positives to be had from results like this and so it proved to be the catalyst for a great Sunday. The whole squad the following day gelled into the fighting solid unit I always wanted and I think deep inside I always knew they were. Loughborough came to us with their hoards and left empty handed as we won 3-2 in a terrific team performance.

 All season I had said to the players that someone will find themselves on the receiving end of a thrashing from us, the recipients of this were Vauxhall Chiltern. The long trip to Luton saw us finally realise our potential smashing home 10. These goals would prove to be vital in the final few weeks shake down.

 Ashbourne came to Wilsthorpe on the 7th March still hoping to be promoted into Midlands 2. The performance from the whole Derby squad was fantastic. 3 goals without reply sent Derby into raptures and Ashbournes’ own ambitions of promotion into tatters. Brilliant game.

 2 defeats followed, firstly away at Matlock 1-0, with questionable officiating certainly contributing. This was followed by a hard fought game at Leicester 2-1, where the pitch, nerves and heat were a factor.

 So to the final game at home v Players. The goals we scored at Vauxhall (10) ensured that providing we didn’t lose by 4 goals or more we would finish 5th in the league. 0-2 down in 3 minutes and the pressure was telling on all, but we are just too good a team and eventually ran out winners 4-2. What a great feeling for everyone who took part and supported us.

2nd ½ season

Played 9
Won 4
Draw 2
Lost 3
For 27
Against 19
Points 14

Final Position 5th

Stats

Home: 4 wins 4 draws 1 defeat Pts 16
Away: 1 win 3 draws 4 defeats Pts 6

Goals: For 36 Against 29

Cards: Red 0 Yellow 1 Green Can’t remember (Should have been double figures for Ali alone! Only Kidding)

Comings and Goings

Tash got pregnant, Zoe chose to move clubs to Old Sills during the 1st half of the season and Donna Wibs left during the 2nd ½ of the season for family reasons – Don Don we look forward to seeing you back during summer training, we have missed you.

I did however spot during the summer a certain player who has been a major factor in many of this seasons games. The acquisition of Laura Skaife from Ashby initially raised eyebrows but she was soon accepted into the team after other players finally saw just what I had seen, an exceptional player with a passion and determination to win. Great 1st season Laura.

Others came to us. From the 2’s Helenor came in and was a revelation, Donna Carlisle and Gill Howarth both kept goal and superbly filled the gap left by Lisa after her unfortunate injury and also during her 5 week trip to India. Ruth Richardson was our final debutant who crowned her 1st game for us with a well-taken goal against Leicester.

The return of 2 players however held huge significance for the team.

Sally Fenton and Kelly Olubodun both came back to us and formed a formidable partnership on the left side of the field that was to terrify the opposition, particularly following the re-shuffle after Christmas. Sallys game was full of pace and power with great control and distribution being shown week after week. Kelly was just all round fantastic, something that highlighted with her 2 awards this season of both the Teams and Coach’s Player of the Year.

Nigel

The Umpiring this season has been so varied its been quite remarkable. But there has been one man that has performed consistently to the highest of standards and deserves a special mention.

I cannot remember more the 1,561 occasions when I have had to question his decisions. But after Nigel buys me a pint of the black champagne after the match it soon clouds my judgement to the positive. Not Really.

Nigel has been superb and in my opinion could umpire at a much higher level should he wish. His consistency in his key decision-making has been superb; his man management fantastic and overall performance deserves a 10 out of 10.

Thank you Nigel for everything. (Especially turning the blind eye on Ali’s tackling)

This Summer

I am looking for us to recommence training as a squad possibly the 1st week in August (subject to pitch availability)

There are new rules for next season that will have a major impact on how we train and our tactics for the coming campaign. It is very important that the effort is made to attend every session.

Pre season games will follow a similar pattern to last season. Hopefully 4 matches of increasingly hard opposition as we approach the new seasons start.

Selection will be open to all who wish try out for Midlands next year, with the final squad decisions being made towards the end of the pre-season games.

This decision will be made in conjunction with the new management group in the 1st XI.

Coach Andy Taylor
Captain Marie Dymond
Vice Captain Lisa Richardson

The final decision regarding weekly selection this year will be mine. I would ask that should you have any issues or queries this coming season you contact me directly. I am always available to you all and would welcome any input or dialogue you feel would help the team to move forward.

After many discussions it is important that Marie is allowed to concentrate on her strengths of leadership and playing on Saturdays, and not on the backroom work that takes up so much of her time. Lisa’s introduction into the management team is a huge positive for us all and I thank her for coming forward during this key year in the teams’ progression.

I look for a few key things from my players.

Commitment.

Especially to training and more importantly each other.

Fitness.

This is down to the individual player. When we train we shouldn’t have to do any fitness work we should have a stick in our hands and a ball at our feet. But if you are not fit selection becomes difficult.

Attitude.

A positive mental attitude can be infectious, a negative one destructive.

A Smile

Life in general is much easier if we all learn to smile and enjoy. All competitive sport is hard and we all go through the rough times when its very hard to put a positive spin on things, but try to remember the good times and not focus on the bad. Play and train hard but with a smile.

Communication

Don’t hold things in. Talk to me. I promise you all now that if I have anything to say to you regarding selection, training, fitness etc I will always call you to discuss privately. Any concerns or issues outside Hockey that affect you I am there to support you. It’s so much easier to deal with a situation if I am in possession of the facts.

Summary

Thanks so much to every player that has played for Marie and I this season. You are a credit to the club and to each other. Your on-pitch attitude and performances have been exemplary.

I can't wait for the new season allready, the rule changes are fantastic and will suit our game but practice will be the key. I believe that we will again more than compete in the Midlands league next season and who knows, if we get a better start than last year we may be in the mix at the right end of the table come this time next year.

Look after yourselves during the summer and make sure you keep up your fitness in prep for pre-season.

I am extremely proud of each and every one of you and look forward to continuing to build a Ladies 1st XI that will make the Midlands League stand up and take notice.

We can achieve our desires if we work hard and commit to the one thing that matters – THE TEAM

A Great Season with Great Friends and a Great Team

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor) Empty Re: Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor)

Post  nigel Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 am

Bloody Hell Andy, had to recharge me Laptop battery halfway through lol!

Thanks for the mention... 10 out of 10.. top of the class.. thanks
Your right, I could umpire at a higher standard, but I have no intention to leave such a wonderful club, and will continue after my year off next year (joke!!) to umpire the Ladies. Hopefully we can all progress to a higher standard..

Will see some of you in the Summer and Andy in the 19th hole. drunken
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor) Empty Re: Ladies 1st XI End of Season Report (Andy Taylor)

Post  KellyO Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks for the report Andy. Not sure how you managed to cover most games in 2 lines!

I just wanted to say a thank you to you for all your work this season with your training schedules, match prep talks, behind the scene organisation and everything else that us players are totally oblivious to! On a personal note, you have worked with and me, built my confidence and installed a will to win (which I don't think I have ever really had before). I have really enjoyed this season (except the last game) and hope it continues into next.

Anyway, I am getting dangerously close to 'kissing a*"e", just like Taran so I will stop there.

Thanks again
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:30 am

Andy

Firstly I must say you manipulated that infamous text in such a good manner I truly had no reply. Although I'd watch your back now as I'm itching for revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!

This season has been full of ups and downs but I truly think having the support from yourslef as a coach has helped us, as a team, to battle through the season. The motivation I gain from each pre-match talk is fantastic and I'm sure others would agree with me. I don't think I have enjoyed my hockey as much as I have over the last two years and that is thanks to being at a great club and a SMALL part I suppose must be to do with you. (That hurt me soooooo much to say). I think Kelly has thanked you for pretty much everything, but a personal thankyou of putting up soooooooo well with all the aggrovation I have personally caused you this season! ;-) Like yourself I cannot wait for next season.

Taran
Taran
Taran

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

My God you two!!!!! I really think I'm going to be sick!

Blaarrrrgggghhhh! Too late pale

Any way...Andy. Your report is MASSIVE so took me 3 attempts to read all of it. I'm a very busy girl you know.
I suppose I'm meant to say thanks to you for all you have done and I suppose I'm grateful. Very Happy

Of cause I'm joking. You have been a MASSIVE (word or the day) asset to this club and especially to our team.

The other two girlies have said everything already but all of it is true.

Thanks Andy & Bring on next season! Twisted Evil
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marie Dymond Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 pm

What a season! Well played everyone - we have given 100% in every game and fully deserved to finish in the top 5.
On a personal note I would just like to say thank you to you for all for such a great season. As Ali said after the Towcester game, "it's a pleasure to play each Saturday with such a great bunch of people!"
Andy, I don't know how you have managed it but sometimes we even look like we know how to play 'proper hockey'! Thank you for all your hard work.
Can't wait to try out these new rules and for next season!
Marie
xxx
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down