Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MENS 4THS VERSUS LICHFIELD 4THS 20TH FEB 2010

Go down

MENS 4THS VERSUS LICHFIELD 4THS 20TH FEB 2010 Empty MENS 4THS VERSUS LICHFIELD 4THS 20TH FEB 2010

Post  Derek Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 am

Sometimes hockey can be very enjoyable. This was one of those days. Bit surprised to see the white stuff on the ground but thanks to a pitch inspection by Gill the game went ahead in near perfect conditions.

Lichfield are the only team we haven't beaten so far this season having been held to a hard fought 1-1 draw at their place. We had a few players out that day but for this return fixture we were almost at full strength. We were also pleased to see that their excellent young central midfielder had not made it onto the team bus.

We played well throughout this game attacking with speed and control, while keeping things tight at the back, restricting Lichfield to only two or three chances. We took the lead from a penalty flick awarded correctly but I don't know what for. We thought the ball had crossed the line anyway. Now in situations like this I look around for a willing taker but no-one would look at me. Up steps Will Howarth a big player for a big occasion. As I said to him after the game I have not seen a better taken flick since Sean Curly on the BBC Sports Review of the Year when he was up against Bob Wilson. Right in the top corner. This was no more than we deserved and went in at half time 1-0 up. Couldn't think of much to say at the break and let Will do his stuff with sticks, sweat bands and drinks bottles.

Seemed to do the trick, we played even better in the second half. We went 2-0 up through a goal mouth scramble with no obvious goal scorer. We think Matt Hexter could have touched it last but Anthony wants to claim it because he's desperate for that award (have I mentioned that before?). Anna he's not getting this one.

Lichfield rallied for a good ten minute spell but we managed to see the game out unscathed. Great team performance today lads. Sorry about the squeal of delight at the end but as you all know this result secures PROMOTION (barring points deductions) with four games left. Not bad, two successive promotions, we must be doing something right.

Thanks to the Lichfield lads who all came back to the pub and who look up our message board, making my viewing figures look a bit better.

Next week an away trip to South Nottingham. No easy games left, two more wins may get us the title but three would make it certain. No let up now, I've squeezed everything up in the trophy cabinet but would like the league winners pennant please.

Thanks Pete and Leigh for umpiring.

Derek

Derek

Back to top Go down