Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens 3s vs Tamworth

2 posters

Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty Mens 3s vs Tamworth

Post  matt # 14 Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:49 am

With regular captain and CB Chris away on holiday, we played against a traditionally physical tamworth side with a new look backline. Kieran Lamb came up from the 4s to play RB with John Mann stepping inside to play CB.

A pretty open first half resulted in a few chances for both sides, with Rob making some good saves for us in goal. We were unfortunate to concede a flick with a block on the line, but it proved a wise play as the tamworth player preceded to put the ball not just over the bar, but into the adjacent school playing ground. It was undoubtedly due to Rob's dominating presence in goal!!

Derby were already looking better than last weeks farce at solihull and passed the ball round quite well in places. Rich Beeching opened the scoring by slotting one across their keeper from the edge of the D. Antony Crooks continued his bad luck by hitting his third disallowed goal of the season after some considerable confusion between the umpires (and some very sporting behaviour from Mike). 1-0 at half time and slightly ahead on possession.

We came out second half determined to make a big effort for the last game of our season, and played a really strong 20mins of hockey. Pat was causing problems down the right as usual, and in my opinion Ant and Rich enjoyed their best performances of the season. Good chances were missed after positive work by Chris Towner and Pete (ill spare those who actually missed)

A second goal came after a string of short corners, when the ball was eventually played back across the goal for Pat to slot home from close range. At 2-0 we were looking comfortable, with the backline quickly snubbing out counter attacks, and were unfortunate to concede a wicked deflection from Darrens stick which left Rob no chance.

With probably their 2nd shot of the half, Tamworth got an equaliser after a rare venture into our D, leaving Derby players looking pretty shell shocked. With time running out, Pat was unlucky to see a clean hit sail past the far post when clean through, with Mike even more unlucky not to reach it for a tap in.

A very disappointing result from a game in which we all agreed we played well. perhaps a little naive not to adjust our style when are winning. Difficult to pick MotM, its split between John Mann for a commanding performance out of position and to Kieran Lamb on 3s debut, for showing considerable composure (could teach most us 3s regulars how to pick an easy pass!)

Matt (temporary captain)

Last edited by matt # 14 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

matt # 14

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty Keeper?

Post  John Man Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 am

Poor ROB!!!!! he looks nothing like seb in goal.

Still we all know that we will need a keeper for next season, options? I vote in Anthony lol cheers

John Man

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty apologies...

Post  matt # 14 Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 am

for intial confusion, now amended, it is was of course Mr Rob Howarth in goal for us on saturday,

all I have to do is write one simple match report.....

as for next season, apparantly pete used to play in goal............

matt # 14

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty Confused - you will be

Post  pneilson Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:15 am

As one of the 'confused' umpires I am glad to see the acting captain is not immune to such a state himself. Just an additional point - although 'confusion' on the part of the umpires did reign up to the point before the disallowed goal it was actually 'confusion' amongst the 3rds that actually led to the attempt on goal! Seriously though I thank the 3rds for their sensible and sporting approach to the non-goal!

pneilson

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty more apologies

Post  matt # 14 Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:33 am

blimey, im not doing very well at this match reporting.

Apologies to the umpires, to whom we are always grateful of course.

I did not mean offence with my wording, it wasnt anyones fault, and we were cetrainly just as to blame.

Maybe though, confusion is the key to getting Ant to score more goals!?

matt # 14

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty Hands up its my fault.

Post  2 Kebabs Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:15 pm

As the umpire the umpire that couldn't tell the difference between the 2 minute signal and the one for the short corner, and the ensueing goal. The 3rds probably played one of there best games I have unpired this year.

Thankfully there wasn't the problems of this same fixture of last year. It was probably the first time that no cards were issued in a game between the two sides. It was a pleasure to umpire despite my errors.

2 Kebabs

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s vs Tamworth Empty Re: Mens 3s vs Tamworth

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down