Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like

+2
Marie Dymond
Andy Taylor
6 posters

Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:14 am

Southwell Brincliffe 1st XI 3 - 3 Derby Asterdale1st XI

LADIES::::::::::

Will you please just for once give me an easy Saturday !!!!!

Our 1st game back after 2 months break from league action, saw us come up against 4th place Southwell Brincliffe United Hockey Club – SBU for short.

The journey to Bingham Leisure Ctr was nothing if not SLOW…. Marie Dymond you can go over 40 mph – it’s the right hand pedal - but on arrival and following a few late declarations of unavailability on Friday, we somehow managed to cobble a select 13 + coach which was made up of:

The odd hangover, an Invalid or two, a player with her work phones stuck to her ear, an evil fool who thought she could hold to Ransom the Coach, a key player who threatened to quit in place of Netball (whatever that is), an asthmatic, a coach (me) high on caffeine and a few others good and true. A great select bunch of athletes.

I think those that know me, will agree I am a very calm collected individual who rarely looses his temper in front of his delicate flowers…… but 12 minutes into the game that all changed!

For the opening 10 minutes WE WERE ABSOLUTLY SHOCKING. The SBU fwds drove through us at will and scored 2 very simple goals, there was very little tracking back and the marking at times was non-existent.

So what happened on 12 minutes…. We conceded a penalty stroke. As I got the girls in I (how can I put this) expressed my opinions as to how we were playing ! Oh and in the background Lisa saved the Flick, its a minor point I know but thought I should mention it.

The transformation was immediate as we set about harrying SBU all over the park and we gained our just reward after Taran latched onto a lose ball inside the ‘D’ to score – we knew it was Taran due to the SCREAMS of delight she whelped out after scoring – sometimes only dogs and cats can hear her.

So ½ time came and several more words of wisdom were imparted, “look to play it tight and safe for the opening 10 mins of the 2nd half”.

The match restarted………2 minutes later we are 3-1 down. !! *&$£”^*%

But…

The fight and determination was back, the whole team knew we were still in the game and we could pull the score back around. With Kath and Laura now beginning to dominate the midfield, SBU were on the back foot, the press was starting to look good again and we finally got into our passing game with everyone getting involved.

Anna and Taran up front were a constant threat and Marie, Kelly, Val and Amanda at the back snuffed out any serious threats that SBU could muster and on the one occasion when SBU did find a way through they found Lisa in spectacular form as she leapt like a spawning salmon low to her right to pull off a magnificent stick save to prevent SBU going further in front.

As the ½ started to draw to a close with only 5 minutes left, it was time for me to make what I believe was a very brave decision.

I took off centre back Val who was having a terrific match and left the back line a little exposed, I put on Ali with instructions to play as the extra forward with freedom to roam anywhere up front and get involved in the match.

After only 1 minute up pops Ali inside the ‘D’ to finish a great move with her 1st (I think) goal of the season to give us faint hope of rescuing something from the game. 3-2 down with 4 minutes to go.

We continued to pile on the pressure but found ourselves again unable to finish off the final move, thanks in no small part to some last ditch defending and an SBU goalkeeper in sparkling form.

Again though as in so many matches this season, there was a twist to the story. As the final few seconds began to count down it looked like that opening 10-minute bad spell was going to cost us dearly, but for once our efforts were rewarded.

With only 8 seconds remaining as we pressed hard, a cross ball spilled out to Anna Neilson who latched onto it to score a well deserved goal sending myself and all players and subs into absolute euphoria, 3-3 what a remarkable comeback.

As the players walked back for the re-start the final whistle blew to scenes and sounds of jubilation from the Derby players.

So many times this season we have thrown away matches in the final few minutes but who knows, maybe our luck has finally changed.

Southwell are a good team, with in particular a very quick and agile fwd line, but once we got ourselves organised today we managed to subdue not just this dangerous player but the whole SBU team and supporters.

10 minutes is a long time in Hockey – the start was RUBBISH – the end unbelievably tense but ultimately rewarding.

Teamwork is often spoken about as being of paramount importance, but a measure of our players’ individual contributions is also shown in today’s Man of the Match Vote.

Val and Chrissi came 2nd , but a total of 5 other players shared today’s MOM. That’s a measure of a team playing for each other and as a single united unit.

I want to mention one player in particular.

Chrissi Crookes.

She stepped in as cover for Val last night late on and due to the circumstances of the match DIDN’T get on the pitch.

I am sure I speak for the whole team when I say thanks to you Chrissi for being there for all of us. I didn’t want you to feel robbed of a game today and sitting there for the whole match feeling every emotion with us all was undoubtedly very hard.

You are a huge asset to our club and although you didn’t make it on to the pitch today I hope that being a part of the experience was in some little way satisfying for you.

Thanks.

Next Saturday sees a return to Wilsthorpe for the visit of Loughborough Students – the fixtures don’t get any easier – 12 noon push back with all supporters welcome.

Thanks again everyone and I expect to see 13 responses to this report on here by Tuesday – WHEN WE DO SELECTION – no pressure. LOL
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Shoes

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm

Maybe the pink shoes are Lucky Shoes ?
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Re: Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like

Post  Marie Dymond Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Ever heard the story of the hare and the tortoise Andy? And do you know your right from your left?!!!

Seriously though, well done girls. A great effort from everyone - lets start next week's game how we finished today!
Marie
xx
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Re: Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like

Post  Admin Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Ok. Andy would like to know what you described me as at the start??? Was I one of the invalids? lol

Good result. Now all we need is a win! Very Happy

BTW the penalty flick save was great...I gave myself a headache trying to save that...the least you can do is say it was a good save. Shocked

Andy....Those Pink shoes may be lucky but they are still PINK and so very wrong!! affraid

I want to say well done to My little bulldog in defense Amanda, who came on the pitch and made a massive impact. She played brilliant. That's why she got Player of the match along with Taran, Anna, Ummmm who were the others????

Well played today girls...see you all in 5 weeks!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:06 am

Andy Why couldn't you buy those lucky Pink shoes at the beginning of the season? lol

And with regards to my yelping after the goal, I don't even think the cats and dogs could hear me. :-D

Good start to the second half of the season, lets mean to go on as we've started girls !!!!!

Well played everyone - (lisa other players of the match were Amanda, YOU and ally I think).

Taran x x
Taran
Taran

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Well Done

Post  Annie Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 am

Well done girls.

Lisa - nice flick save.

'Delicate flowers'... Yeah right!

xxx
Annie
Annie

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Aunty Val

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 am

Just another quick footnote from Saturday.

Vals exploits to play through her injury do need to be mentioned, despite severe discomfort she played a key role throughout the afternoon.

HOWEVER…… speaking with Val (Monday) although her back is now getting better she has informed me of an injury that has occurred today during her walk with Hubby Dave.

It appears that wile trying to get her leg over something she has slipped on some ice and injured her A*** to such an extent that her jeans were restricting circulation around the said area.

I am helping Val as much as possible to recover and have supplied her with details of a very reasonably priced Zimmer Frame manufacturer along with a Rubber Ring supplier local to Donnington.

All notes of support for Val will I am sure be received with gratitude.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty From Aunty Val

Post  Val Cole Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 am

You asked for an easy Saturday, so what can be easier than an hour with your favourite ladies and no competition?

An update on the a**** - it's very colourful but not for full viewing. A photo was taken but cannot be posted on here as the screen is not big enough!!
Val Cole
Val Cole

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:30 am

For once Val I agree with you and think that you are totally 100% right in saying that the SCREEN IS NOT BIG ENOUGH!!!!!!!! ;-D
Taran
Taran

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1sts restart with a 3-3 win. Well thats what it felt like Empty Val's Bottom

Post  Admin Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 am

You know, the great thing about being the Admin for this board is that I can attach photo's to your profile Val.

I think I found your bottom online...how it got there I have no idea but it's very funny!

I think the others will agree!

Sorry Val...I know i'm not in the UK at the moment for you to give me a clip round the ear hole! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down