Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's 3rd's close in on promotion

+2
Annie
Chris
6 posters

Go down

Men's 3rd's close in on promotion Empty Men's 3rd's close in on promotion

Post  Chris Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Men's 3rd's vs Berkswell & Balsall Common, @ Warwick Uni, 07/03/2009

This week the men's 3rd's travelled to Warwick University to play Berkswell & Balsall Common. As Berkswell had been on a winning streak second only to our own and had just beat South Nott's the match started off nervously on our part. However it wasn't just a tough opposition that was challenging for the men's 3rd's as the pitch was very slow. Throughout the first half Derby came under great pressure from Berkswell and struggled to keep possession. Thanks to good defending and some great saves from keeper Seb Flint Derby went into the half time break at 0-0. As usual it took us a little while to each work out exactly who we should be marking. However our tactic from the beginning to always make sure that Berkswell's top scorer Simon Lamb was always marked helped in the long run. And most of the time it was an outstanding Darren Howard who put the important tackles in on Simon.

Going into the second half Derby's nerves were calmed and soon on the attack, putting Berkswell under lots of pressure. Moving Sam Taylor back into midfield certainly helped! (Sorry for putting you up front Sam!) As Derby started to string more fluid passing moves together Berkswell started to look tired and Derby began winning short corners. Our first goal came from a well struck dipping shot from the ever reliable Paul Nielson that was deflected up into the net by one of the Berskwell players (possibly the goal keeper, I wasn't close enough to see!!). The second goal was scrambled across the line in another short corner by our top goal scorer Sundeep Mann. However being the quality side hat they are Berkswell kept attacking and there were certainly a few airy moments before the end. Notably some fantastic saves from Seb and one diving tackle from Ian McWilliams. However at the final whistle it was Derby that were the winners at 0-2, a sign of how far this team has come in a season. For all of his crucial saves man of the match was awarded to Seb Flint.

Despite the intensity of the match Berskwell & Balsall Common were an excellent team who played the game the way it should be played. They always accepted apologies for late tackles graciously and would themselves apologise if a tackle was put in too hard. I certainly wish them good luck in their second year in the league next season.

So moving onto next week, we will be playing Newark at home at 12pm. As we now stand on 45 points, a win will give us a well deserved automatic promotion!!
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Men's 3rd's close in on promotion Empty Excellent

Post  Annie Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 am

That's ace.
Well done guys. Well done Seb.
How many games left? Do you have to win just 1 more???
Annie
Annie

Back to top Go down

Men's 3rd's close in on promotion Empty Re: Men's 3rd's close in on promotion

Post  Chris Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 am

Annie,

We have 3 games left. To win the league we need to win all of the games or atleast win just 2 by a long margin. To get promotion, as I stated in my last line, "...a win will give us a well deserved automatic promotion".

Chris
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Ches Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 am

We've paid our subs -
Time after time -
We dont do training
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes
Darrens made a few
We've had our share of sand kicked in our face -
But we've come through

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world! (well, Midlands East Div 2, hopefully...)

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Pete Ches

Back to top Go down

Post  pdneilson Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:24 am

Chickens, hatch, don't count - springs to mind

pdneilson

Back to top Go down

Men's 3rd's close in on promotion Empty simple minds

Post  Annie Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 am

Yeah yeah you stated it 'in your last line' Razz
But I need things spelt out for me - simple mind n all.
Annie
Annie

Back to top Go down

Men's 3rd's close in on promotion Empty Promotion

Post  Andy Taylor Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 am

Morning Gents,

No Bull just some simple advice I give my girls before we play each week.

1. There is no such thing as a 50/50 ball
2. Do not come off the pitch Saturday thinking you could have done a little bit more.
3. There is no 'I' in Team but there is in WIN

Relax and enjoy the occasion as a team. Play with pride and passion and the result will undoubtably come.

Good luck from myself and the whole of the Ladies 1st XI squad.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Ches Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:12 am

Cheers Andy, or should that be "Mr Motivator"! Very Happy
Chris P has already volunteered to sing my version of Queen's "We are the champions" at the club dinner should we go up as champs! bom

Pete Ches

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon_P Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:53 am

Great work chaps - awesome to see the 3rd XI climbing back up the leagues, and hopefully as champions (he says firmly touching the wooden desk...) You're one massive step towards exorcising the relegation demons from my season as Captain Retarded....

Good luck for the rest of the season - sure all will be well if you carry on playing as you have been...

I hope to catch up with some of you soon... and if Chris is singing at the end of season "do", I may see whether I can evade the bouncers to sneak in post-dinner. I'm sure there'd be a place for that kind of video on Facebook..........

Simon P

Simon_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Ches Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Hey Simon, cheers for the post- good to hear from you! Hope all is well.
Yeah, we've been stuck in this poxy league for way too long!- things just seem to have fallen into place this year, got a good bunch and a pretty stable team at the mo... fingers crossed we keep playing like we have been all season (lost 2, drawn 0, won the rest (however many that is)).

Pete Ches

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down