Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens 3s v Coalville

2 posters

Go down

Mens 3s v Coalville Empty Mens 3s v Coalville

Post  p.mason.2@bham.ac.uk Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:03 am

So far this season we have experienced losses, but in most of them we have played reasonably well. For the first time this season we actually managed to field our choice midfield and boy did it pay dividends! Before this game had started I had hoped for a good display and possibly a draw....at no point did the script say 3-0 up. Yesterday was the best kind of win; hard fought, good passing hockey with lots of pace (from both sides) and well taken goals.

The game started and continued at a frenetic pace. Their CF sliced right through our midfield and defence and came close to scoring. Clearly their script had us losing by a lot. Unfortunately for them we had other ideas and rapidly gained the measure of their midfield and used our own width to pile the pressure on. Both of our goals in the 1st half came from overloading the right side and then passing the ball across to the left for Stuart Norman to score in spectacular fashion. The second goal was the juiciest peach with Stu bluffing defender and keeper on the open side, to turn and flick (flick = score lads!!!) on the reverse stick. Coalville were being mugged and they knew it. The umpire took the brunt of their frustration and increasingly they challenged each decision against them. We had enough possession and opportunities to score at least 3 more with Tony being guilty of faffing a couple of time. Having said that Tony made a lot of space for Stu, Alex, Andy and matt parker to progress into scoring positions. Coalville's defenders had a busy day.

The second half was a much more even affair with their midfield stepping up the pace a bit and leaving us gasping for air (me in particular). For once though our luck held and this was shown amply by Tom Hart stopping a decent shot mid air with a seemingly random wave of his stick Shocked . Stunning. About mid way through the half we managed to oevrload their defence again and this time, after a fair bit of councing about the ball landed at Dalraj's stick. A quick pull back and a lovelly lofted flick and goal number 3. Coalville were incredulous. The script definately said they would win...what was going on?? About five minutes later both midfield and defence hit the wall and Coalville were firmly on the front foot. They scored both of their goals from counter attacks (and they were good ones as well) and gave us a dreadful fright, but we held out for our first win.

Obviously Stuart gets the plaudits for his brace and a juicy pair they were too, but this was a team effort with everyone giving 100%.

Players next week and a 17:00 pushback on a water based pitch.....this one should be interesting.

Cheers...P Very Happy

p.mason.2@bham.ac.uk

Back to top Go down

Mens 3s v Coalville Empty 1st Win

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56 am

Well done guys,

right from the start you stuck to the game plan playing with tremendous pace and passion, this was so evident at the end by the number of tired bodies on the side gasping for air.

I think there are a few players deserving of a special mention, Andy who played right mid, he just never stopped for the whole game, Anthony's pace was devastating and in particular Matt in the centre certainly held the engine room together.

You guys have now experienced just how hard it is to play in the division you are in but have also shown that with strength and commitment you CAN COMPETE in this league.

Great performance, good goals, good commitment on the back line and well fought right through to the final whistle.

Finally its important to remember last Saturdays game and what you did well, take that into next week and show Players that you are now a more than capable team and the points will continue to come.

Hope I'm not intruding but if I was to award a M o M from a coaches perspective, it would go without doubt to Andy in Midfield - hope I got his name right its just so rare that I see you guys Laughing -

He played a fantastic supporting role in attack and had the legs to cover in defence too. His understanding of "Showing for the ball" meant the defence always had an easy outlet and his "non engagement" of players and quickness of passing was a huge positive. A great all-round performance.

Hope that the advice and encouragement helped.

Andy T
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down