Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!!

+2
Admin
Andy Taylor
6 posters

Go down

End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!! Empty End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!!

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:01 pm

So here we are again, the end of another tough season in the Midlands League for the ladies 1st XI and one that again I’m sure none of us will forget.

It all started back in late June when following a lot of interaction with the Aussie HA I managed to secure a game for the Ladies 1st XI versus the touring Australian Ladies Veterans in July.

The day itself turned out to be unforgettable for everyone involved, there we were, little DAHC Lds 1st XI, up against a squad of 18 full ex-internationals from down under in temperatures exceeding 28 degrees.

I won’t go into great detail about the game itself (just look back on the match reports) but I must mention the pride I had in seeing Marie lead out our team and line up facing the might of the Aussies, those there will never forget the effort every player put into the game and the roar that went up when Ali equalised in the 2nd period following a routine straight from the training ground.

It was quite simply the greatest day I have ever experienced in over 35 years of Hockey, a draw against the Aussies, just incredible.

It was going to be interesting just how we would react following this game, especially with 6 weeks off before we got into our pre-season games. But I need not have worried.

In the close season I asked Nigel to take up the post of Assistant Coach and subsequently Manager of the team, an appointment that has proven its worth, having Nigel there to bounce ideas and theories off has been essential.

So the pre-season games……..

We quite simply destroyed all before us scoring 24 and conceding just 3 in 4 games:

v Ashfield Aztecs won 4-0
v Worksop won 3-1
v Melton won 6-2
v Lutterworth won 11-0

It was an almost faultless pre-season, we tried differing systems, differing personnel, differing approaches but everything we tried just worked. It was looking well for the start of the league but I’ve been in the game too long to take anything for granted, the players looked fit and hungry for success it was just a matter of seeing if could we transfer our form into the Midlands league arena.

The 1st ½ of the season.

Our opening encounter was against Newark, new to Midlands but certainly no mugs as they were to prove later in the season. A great game saw us run out 3-1 winners with 2 from Taran and 1 from Laura completing the scoring.

This was followed by the tricky trip to Leicester where the first of our never-ending series of injuries hit us. We lost Kelly with a bad calf injury but again we were too strong for Leicester and ran out 3-0 winners after an opening minute goal from Anna and another 2 from Taran. This was turning into a good start to the campaign.

In week 3 it was time to play one of our toughest physical encounters of the season at home to West Bridgford, but again we proved just how good we were playing and ran out by a slim margin of 1-0 following another training ground penalty corner finish from Becky Norman, but this didn’t tell the whole story, it could easily have been 5-2 / 6-3 to us but Lisa and the Bridgford keeper both had great games.

Week 4 saw Northampton Saints visit Wilsthorpe, a team that was capable of taking points of anyone, but they found us in absolute imperious form. On just 2 mins Taran finished off a superb move created by Rachael for her 5th goal in just 4 games, Kath got onto the score sheet from a penalty corner but it was future Captain Rachael that stole the headlines with a quite superb hat-trick to see us 5-1 winners.

Now it was getting scary, we were playing to our full potential, the changes in formation and personnel were all working well, the front line were scoring, the midfield was so creative and the back line solid with Lisa looking almost unbeatable.

Played 4 won 4 top of the league on Goal Difference…ohhhhhh

And so to week 5……..

Away v Barton.

This game, along with the return fixture in February, were quite simply the best 2 games of the season in regards to quality of play, excitement and the uncertainty of which way the result would go. Goals by Marie from a well worked PC and an open play goal from Rachael were just not quite enough as Barton showed tremendous class in the scoring 3 well worked goals of their own.

We had everything in the game, controversial decisions, outstanding goalkeeper and defensive work, brilliant goals and right at the end a quite remarkable waist high clearance off the line from the Barton full back following Marie’s drag flick that we all thought was going in.

Our first loss but what a game.

With an enforced 2 week break we returned to league action in November with the daunting trip down to Kettering and all our fears based on previous history at this clubs home ground came back to haunt us again.

To say this was a bruising encounter is putting it mildly; the umpiring was of such a poor standard that at times it just became dangerous.

Helena, Taran and others all became victims of this bruising encounter with the umpiring somewhat questionable. An early break away goal by Kettering put them in front and then they just put 8 bodies inside the D to defend for the next 60 minutes. Some very helpful umpiring assured them of retaining their lead until on 65 minutes when Taran popped up to equalise. They didn’t like that and just 2 mins later when Rachaels shot was clearly stopped on the line by a foot and the Penalty storke wasn’t given, Kettering were ecstatic. What followed at the final whistle though was nothing short of disgraceful with the Kettering players targeting Taran with some verbal abuse and then the neutral umpire Man-Handling her.

It was not a good experience !!!

So to the following week when we were looking to get back on track with the local derby game v Matlock. For over 50 minutes we totally dominated the match with some quite sublime play. Goals from Taran, Rachael and her first for the club from Beth were enough to see us 3-1 winners and remain in the top 2.

Due to the Weather we now had to have another long enforced break from the 20th November to the 8th January before we would get the chance to play again.

So into January we go with 2 x 2nd half pre-season games.

A tough come from behind win at Harbourne from 2-0 down at ½ time to a 3-2 win. We were looking good again.

Our 2nd game was a tester for us away at Ashbourne but following an opening minute goal from Rachael we ran out surprisingly comfortable 6-0 winners.

So back to the league and an away trip to Belper. The day started with presents from coach of ear muffs for all players and the relaxed attitude manifested itself in a well earned 3-0 win with the Belper keeper having the game of her life puling off save after save.

Jan 29th saw us visit Newark and squander a lead for the 1st time this season, 2-0 up with goals from Taran and Rachael should have seen us safe but Newark had progressed well and came back deservedly to level the game at 2-2. Again though some ugly scenes post game and a nasty injury to Amanda spoiled a very good encounter. Disappointing.

What followed over the next 4 weeks was noting short of disastrous.

With some “Internal” news coming out of the 1st XI camp feelings stared to get a little low, but they reached rock bottom following the Home game v Leicester as we all witnessed the horrific injury to Helena which put her out for the rest of the season with broken and crushed bones resulting in surgery as the only option. We lost the game 4-2.

Over to West Bridgford the following week and injuries and non-availability of key players compounded the teams’ performance and resulted in another loss 3-2.

And so followed the trip down to Northampton. This was always going to be so difficult due to the lack of regular players. Ali & Kelly were unavailable due to family commitments, Becky was away in Egypt for a well deserved rest following her medical finals, Amanda was carrying a serious calf injury and with Lisa still carrying a very painfull back injury it was always going to be tough. We asked several players to step up and play for us in this difficult encounter and all played their hearts out but it was Northampton who ran out 1-0 winners. Emotions were running very high and this was now turning into a very difficult situation to manage and get out of.

3 defeats in a row and a team in turmoil with run away league leaders due next week, I have to admit I was seriously concerned if we would ever recover.

The 26th Feb and Barton come along to play in an encounter that almost mirrored the 1st game this season. A fantastic match in which we at times got back into our stride, despite going 2 goals down early, Lisa was in magnificent form and 2 2nd half goals from Rachael brought us level only for Barton to get their 3rd and hold out for a very very hard earned win.

For the 1st time in a while we all came off knowing “the truth is we are a pretty good side” Barton commented that our 2 games were without doubt the hardest of their campaign. But it was still another loss and 1 point from 5 games had taken us from the brink of promotion into a relegation scrap.

And so to the 12th of March Home v Kettering.

In the team meeting prior to the game the show of emotion at the news Nigel gave to the team regarding my staying was overwhelming. I know this bit is personal but it needs saying.

I have never met such a close group of people with such diverse characters and backgrounds, who are so loyal to every member of the team - both playing and coaching / management - in my life. I always believed it but the feeling that morning will live with me for a long time.

We went out with such a spring in our steps that we knew the result was never going to be in doubt. Goals from skipper Marie’s cracking PC, Laura’s quite brilliant overlapping run and shot and the gamble in playing Amanda on the front line while Rachael was “visiting the TREE!” which paid off with her 1st goal of the season saw us back on track with another 3-1 win and safety was assured.

Our trip to Matlock the following week still leaves a little sour taste due to the antics of their player / selection policy. But it wasn’t all down to that, we just didn’t turn up and got a sound beating 4-0. It was a bad day.

So here we are then, our final game of the season at Home to Belper and what a stunning way to finish (despite the Christmas Tree – you had to be there).

We went a goal down inside 70 seconds – certainly not what was planned but we knew we had no worries really. Open play goals from Laura, Rachael and Taran in the 1st half saw us comfortably ahead and despite taking our foot off the gas in the 2nd half we still managed to get Rachael to finish the season off with a perfectly executed “ELVIS” penalty corner routine to secure the points and 4th place in the league.

Off to the pub to relax………………………………

As if you’ve not read enough here’s my overall summary and some other bits…….

Its been a fantastic season, we proved for ½ the year that we are more than capable of getting out of this league, our results up to Christmas were brilliant, after Christmas disappointing but with glimpses of again just what we can do.

We know we have suffered terribly with injuries this season and the on-going loss of Helena is something we all are finding it hard to come to terms with but we must still go on despite the feelings of empathy for her. Come back soon Hels, you’re missed.

Training has been very very well attended and as you know this is the key to success for all, Nigel’s appointment has also been a very positive move in our progress as a team and I thank him for all his support this year and look forward to the next few.

There have been so many moments of laughter that have gone with all the hard work too, Rachael now has a Tree named after her, Kelly’s look of shock as she was ousted as being a thief after the theft of her daughters Christmas tree chocolate and her openly admitting it on facebook, Tarans cries of woe after she found out that I have been washing her shirt in my bath all season – only joking……… maybe! – and as for Theresa I just cant regale you of everything, there’s not enough room !! Opening a can of Red Bull, taking a swag the putting the ½ full can back in her bag and wondering why her kit was wet, I could seriously go on and on.

I suppose I’d better mention my own moment. When we played away at Belper as we were attacking to give the team encouragement, I screamed at the top of my voice “come on BELP……… Derby” I didn’t get away with it, Thanks Beth.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank all those players and family members who have come along to support us. Sometimes we don’t get the chance to speak to you all but we do notice you there and thank you so much.

Its just been a fantastic season.

I do however want to save the last section for someone very special.

MARIE DYMOND

Marie took the decision at Christmas to resign from the position of captaincy at the end of this season.

It’s very difficult to measure the Captain / Coach relationship Marie and I have had over the last 4 years but to give you an indication we have never argued about players, formations, development, training and the way forward. It’s remarkable but true, ask her.

For 4 years she has finished my sentences in team talks, she has pre-empted my decisions on squad selection and every time she puts her hand up in team talks I know just what she is about to say because 9 times out of 10 it was just about to come out of my mouth ! You’re a bloody nightmare Dymond.

You all know how much “THAT GAME IN JULY” meant to me, but I’ve never been prouder than seeing such a dedicated Team and Club member walk out to Captain Derby Asterdale Hockey Club against the Aussies and I know just how proud (and bloody terrified) Marie was. It can never be taken away from you Marie.

She is a superb individual who will be missed as Captain but I’m sure I speak for all when I say we all look forward to still seeing her playing along side us still next season.

Most of all she has been a rock to me both on a club level and as a friend away from Hockey. You’ve left some big shoes to fill Mrs Dymond.

So that’s it, the seasons done and we can all look forward to the summer rest until August when it all starts again.

Thanks to each and every player that has won their place in the 1st XI this year and lets now look forward to our 4th season in Midlands where we belong.

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!! Empty Re: End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!!

Post  Admin Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Gosh, that was a long one...I had to take a break half way through!!! Great report Andy, I had forgotten that half of that had happened so it's great to look back.

I must Echo what Andy said about Marie, you were fantastic as Captain and indeed they are very big shoes to fill.

I am missing you all already but am looking forward to the end of season dinner.

Andy, thanks for everything and biggest of all, thanks for staying with us next season.

Nigel, awesome!!!

See you all soon xx
Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!! Empty Re: End of Season Report Ladies 1st XI - its a long one !!!!

Post  flick007 Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Andy, I totally agree with everything you said about Marie and Ive only known her a season. A fantastic captian and player. The alcohol must have helped with you writing such a long report but a very good one nonetheless. Andy, thank you for a terrific first season after convincing me to move Smile.Looking forward to fun times on Saturday and a positive summer and preseason Smile.
flick007
flick007

Back to top Go down

Post  Marie Dymond Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 am

Don't you lot start going all mushy on me!!!
It's been a pleasure to be Captain of such a great bunch of people, but I must admit that I'm looking forward to being just a player next season (if selected!), and not having to fill in team sheets or write long letters of complaint to the league!! I might even get to eat some food after a game before it's gone cold!
As for the hockey - this season has been a bit of a rollercoaster. We have played some brilliant hockey and at times have shown what we are truely capable of. Next season we just need to be more consistent and completely ruthless! Everyone to training then!!
I would like to thank everyone that has played for the firsts this season, Nigel and Paul for their brilliant umpiring, and Andy for coaching us, putting up with us and for staying with us next season. I also want to wish Rachael good luck - not that you need it!
Bring on next season!
See you all at the dinner,
Marie
xxx
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Post  paul.bradley Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 am

Your right it was a long one. I've read books that are shorter!!

Congratulations on a great season and a BIG THANK YOU for making my job easy as an umpire.

Good Luck for next season

Paul Very Happy

paul.bradley
paul.bradley

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyO Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the great report Andy (although you are still not forgiven for calling us Belper).

Great start to the season, not so great second half, but all the way through - great friends and great spirit.

Thanks for all your work this season Andy, but thanks also goes to Nigel, Paul & Marie. We couldn't have managed without you all.

See you all Saturday....beer time!!!
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down