Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI

4 posters

Go down

Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI Empty Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 am

As poor as Saturdays match was, Sunday’s was superb.

On Saturday Kettering visited Wilsthorpe, and despite a great start with a goal inside 2 minutes from Anna Nielson via a well worked penalty corner, we went on to lose the match 3-1

I have said all I needed to say to the squad about this game and we have drawn a line under it, we all know where we went wrong and what was important was that we put it right on Sunday and boy did we do just that.

Pre match the mood was very buoyant – then very low – then angry – then absolute determination showed its head & ultimately possibly one of the best team performances of the season.

Loughborough came with their masses. 16 players plus supporters with flags and the attitude of a team who thought they were in for an easy game – sometimes arrogance bits you on the backside!

The match started at 100 miles an hour – and never let up.

Loughborough put us on the back foot from the off with very skilful movement of the ball but each time they tried to breach the back line they found a tiger in Ali Kerr just waiting to pounce, playing one of her best games of the season.

The switch to Marie at Centre Back and Ali to sweeper was paying dividends with the Loughborough fwds just coming up against a brick wall time and time again.

The tactics I needed from the team today were taken on board from the off and after winning our first penalty corner, our slick movement saw Anna Nelson slam home from close range to give us a 1-0 lead.

But within 6 minutes Loughborough broke away themselves and scored to level the scores at 1-1. I feared just how we would react but my fears were unfounded as player upon player stepped up to show there metal.

After 20 mins an unbelievable event happened. From our own penalty corner the ball was failed to be stopped and broke straight to the Loughborough midfield, quick passing and the Loughborough players were driving at Ellie from 25 yards out, 3 attackers on her but no defenders! As they drove in my cry to Ellie to close the striker down at the top of the ‘D’ saw her drive off her line, the 2 wingers were in acres of space for a simple slip pass but the striker went for glory and shot wide. PHEW

½ time and we were able to make some simple tactical changes and reinforce our game plan. The players came out with fire in their bellies and took the game to Loughborough with no fear.

Following superb midfield work it was Laura Skaife who popped up to give us the lead once more from close range 2-1. Now Loughborough knew they were in a game.

With tensions mounting Loughborough forced a succession of Penalty Corners but Marie Dymond was in fantastic form as time and time again she smothered the striker’s efforts.

But it was from one of Loughborough’s PC’s that, after it broke down, Loughborough attacked again and a hard strike into the ‘D’ was somehow deflected passed a helpless Ellie high into the Derby net 2-2.

But Derby carried on and it was Anna Neilsen who got the telling touch to a great cross ball towards the far post to tap in for 3-2 and ultimately the win for Derby.

There were many many many outstanding performances today.

Man of the Match went to Helena with undoubtedly her best game ever for the 1st XI, but others such as Kath Lee, Ali Kerr, Anna Neilson with her goals, Kelly playing with a raging cold all deserve credit.

Great Game, Great win.

Oh and just as important the winner of "THE PANTS OF SHAME" this week.

As the game was at its highest levels of intensity it was down to Marie Dymond to show her levels of concentration were at there peak, by spotting Tash on the side line with her baby in the buggy, Marie began to wave at Tash to say high as the rest of her team were flat out trying for 3 pts.- babies hey. Shame on you Marie.

Her display of petulance in the pub afterwards in refusing to get a beer while wearing said "pants of shame" could result in further action..... watch this space.

Great news ………………… the bad man is happy today LOL

Last edited by Admin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:07 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling Errors)
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI Empty Re: Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI

Post  KellyO Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:33 am

Well played girls, and I just wanted to say a big thank you to Gill and Ellie for stepping up to the plate for us this weekend. Short of our 2 regular keepers, we wouldn't have been in either match with out you guys.
Thanks
xxx
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI Empty Additional thanks

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:10 am

My huge apologies, I too should have mentioned the Keepers.

You both stepped in to a very high tension environment and without you both we could not have played.

Your commitment to the 1st XI and the club as a whole is huge and I thank you both.

A mention should also go to Nigel. His umpiring this weekend was superb. The consistacy of his decision making and his colleagues this weekend was brilliant and deserves great credit.

Thanks to you all and apologies for not mentioning you in my initial report.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI Empty Re: Horror show Saturday turns to Glory on Sunday for Lds 1st XI

Post  Admin Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:00 am

Once again ladies - well done!

I would also like to thank Gill, Donna & Ellie for going in goals. I am extreamly greatful!!!!

Good luck for next week. My Elephant in India has blessed you all so you have a little bit more luck behind you. Not that you're going to need it Cool

Last edited by Admin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Coz I can)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:08 am

Finally a mention in a match report, and it's a compliment.!!! Thanks Coach..

Where you mentioned "deserves great credit" .....Free Beer for the rest of the season please... Ta

I would like to congratulate the team for an outstanding performance on Sunday.
You have played to that level all season without getting your just rewards.. (apart from Saturday.. don't go there Nigel!!! ) this time you deserved what you gained, ALL 3 points.. WELL DONE

Hopefully with the remaining games that's left you can secure a place in this league, where you belong..

Have a good trip!!! on Saturday, I too have to travel miles to Burton on Saturday. Think it will take me at least 7mins Razz
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 am

Sorry Nige....Had to give you a picture that matched!

I think it's very funny! Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 am

WTF Lisa....!!!!!

How did u manange to get hold of my family photo album???? lol!
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 am

I got it from Dave!

Mind you, the one of him is just the same......amazing that hey!!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down