Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0

+5
babyface
Taran
Admin
alison kerr
Andy Taylor
9 posters

Go down

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0 Empty Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:03 am

In freezing temperatures Derby made the 30-mile trip to the picturesque town of Southwell for our opening fixture of the 2nd half of this seasons Midlands Hockey League campaign.

With Captain Marie unavailable (Strictly Come Dancing has a lot to answer for) the armband went to Anna Neilson for the first time. When some players get the responsibility of the Captaincy it can have a detrimental effect on their performance whereas other thrive, happily Anna stepped up to the mark with a terrific all-round game.

We started with passion and aggression but failed to make the early breakthrough required.

Southwell came at us with their long ball game and as the pitch was still very hard and frozen beneath the surface, the ball travelled at tremendous speed making accuracy of passing very difficult to judge.

We continually tried to play in our usual manner but conditions and a determined opposition made life hard – for 34 ½ mins anyway until the Anna show began.

A terrific drive into the circle saw Kelly fouled and the umpire award only the 2nd PC of the half.

As the injection came out Southwells pace off the line prevented any sideways showboat movement, but as they closed Anna down she calmly slipped past the 1st attempted tackle and as we waited for a trademark thump she very stylishly just passed the ball by the rest of the Southwell Defence into the corner of the goal to give Derby the lead at Southwell 0 – 1 Derby. (34 mins)

The game didn’t even get to re-start other than the push back as the ½ time whistle blew.

The benefit of having a squad of 13 today enabled plenty of changes to be made and with such a flexible squad the combinations and options were almost endless.

As we re-started we knew Southwell would begin to tire due to the pace of the game and our superior fitness levels would began to take effect and so they did.

On 43 mins the goal of the game came as Goose found herself tight on the Southwell goal line just outside the ‘D’, she showed her class as she took the ball past 3 defenders tackles all within inches of the touch line and pulled the ball back for Anna to slot home her 2nd and put an even bigger smile on her face. Southwell 0 – 2 Derby. (43 mins).

For the remainder of the game we totally dominated the match with Southwell relying on a quick breakout as their only outlet, but the back line of Ali, Kelly, an outstanding Amanda and Theresa snuffed out all but one chance during the whole 2nd ½.

On 52 mins Anna completed a dream debut as Captain, as once again some great build up play from Taran, Goose and Kath saw Anna able to slot home from close range for a memorable hat trick. Southwell 0 – 3 Derby. (52 mins).

On 65 mins I gave Anna a deserved rest and almost immediately we were awarded our 1st PC of the 2nd half. With Anna off the call went out for TAKE THAT GOOSE.

Another great injection saw Goose step up and cream the ball at goal but somehow the defender – I’m sure she had her eyes shut!! – managed to get some of her stick on the ball and deflect it just over the bar.

Final score - Southwell 0 – 3 Derby.

Overall Summary

With today’s results we now stand in joint 5th with Lough’ St with a huge 7 point gap to the relegation zone. (Watch this space the table may change soon)

1 Tamworth Ladies 1s-----------------30
2 Cannock Ladies 2s-------------------23
3 Matlock Baileans Ladies 2s-----------22
4 Shrewsbury Ladies 1s ---------------22
5 Loughborough Students Ladies 3s----16*
6 Derby Asterdale Ladies 1s -----------16
7 West Bridgford Monarchs Ladies I------9
8 Southwell Brincliffe United Ladies I ----8
9 Ashbourne Ladies 1s -----------------5
10 Staveley Ladies 1s ----------------- 0

There were also some great unselfish performances today worthy of mention:

Becky just ran forever and if we had found her more often I’m sure our tally could have been much higher.

Ali’s full return was very pleasing to see despite the tight calves.

Taran played with freedom to express her style and didn’t disappoint.

Amanda has turned into a terrific full back – not bad for a winger just 3 seasons ago.

I could go on.

The outstanding performance was though AGAIN Anna.

Its not just about her goals again today, her movement off the ball was superb, her attitude magnificent, she ran like a Duracell Bunny and most shockingly didn’t grumble when subbed for the final few minutes (only kidding). She was just magnificent.

Goals

Anna 34 mins (pc), 43 mins (op), 52 mins (op)

Cards

Lisa (G)

MOM (Wig of wonderment) - Anna

I may just treat myself to a glass or 2 of the BLACK CHAMPAGNE tonight.

Well done girls, see you all Tuesday..........

Oh I forget to mention

Did I tell you I Scored last week ?????

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0 Empty a very pleasing saturday night

Post  alison kerr Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:26 am

Just about to settle down with a glass of wine after a lovely meal, a saturday afternoon when i could actually get out in the garden and oh yes feeling very pleased after a good team win today - hope you all got home safely and timely today, no unexpected detours on the return!

great goals today anna, you truly did lead as an example, how many goals did you get when we won derbyshire? The target must be within your sights?

It was very reassuring to play with a solid deference behind today, great controlling and communication in the second half amanda as well as some very well timed interceptions - it certainly helped my game as did LAura and Kath coming back so swiftly.

H and Becky how on earth do you both keep steaming up and down that sideline creating good passages for us?? Great control and disciple demonstrated by all at certain times of the game - well done girls.

A great team game again as Andy said with such strength and interchanging within midfield - back to my nice saturday evening - have a good one all. see you tuesday
ail

alison kerr

Back to top Go down

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0 Empty Re: Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0

Post  Admin Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Great game ladies. I thought everyone played really well and as a team!

I have to correct u though Andy as it was Kelly who set up Anna with the 1st goal. Kel made a great run and made a perfect pass to Anna to finish.

Am looking foward to next week where I am hoping to only touch the ball once or twice again! :-D
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0 Empty Re: Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks for correcting me Lisa.

I thought the 1st goal was from the penalty corner at the end of the 1st half on 34 mins as per my game notes. Pretty sure i'm right unless you saw something I didn't from back there.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:16 am

I must add a great game too ladies.

Anna another fantastic performance. With regards to the first goal, I believe you're both right in one sense. Andy you are correct in saying that the first goal was scored by a penalty corner on 34 mins, but lisa you are also right in saying that it was kelly who had made a fantastic run from the middle of the pitch taking on a whole army of players, only to be fouled in the D.

Lisa I also remember you making an awesome save when we were 1-0 up, had you not, the game may have turned out differently. However a well deserved 3 points everyone!
Taran
Taran

Back to top Go down

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0 Empty Great game

Post  babyface Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:54 am

Hi All

Great team performance on Saturday, I thought everyone gave 100%

Andy - Lisa is right about the first goal, I wasn't even on the pitch at the time! Lol

may not be able to come training tomorrow, sorry but I have a rotten cold and I am off work today. See you all on Sat xx

babyface

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:40 am

Clearly the best memory award goes to Taran!

Lisa, remember the umpire said you can't possibly see from 90 yards away! Wink But clearly you have better eyesight than Andy!

I'm going to be boring and echo everybody else and say it was a great team performance. Very Happy

I'm impressed there's no mention of the journey there in your report!!

See you all tomorrow!
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Marie Dymond Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Well played everyone! A fantastic result and it sounds as though evryone played really well. Can't wait for this Saturday!

Just one thing though - what exactly happened on the journey there?
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Neilson at the 1-2-3 as Derby Ladies beat Southwell 3-0 Empty MISTAKES

Post  Andy Taylor Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:34 am

Ok Nigel, now I know how you feel, you make a simple error and they take pleasure in highlighting it to the max.

Yes I got some of the detail wrong for the 1st goal. Its very difficult to remember exact actions and build-up of every play and every pass, but I would gladly welcome other players efforts in attempting to write an in depth and concise report............. any takers?????

Thought not.

See everyone Tuesday.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Andy,

As i do sympathise for the grief you have gotten on the match report, i don't really understand how the "making a simple error" remark relates to me..!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol!
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyO Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:13 pm

cause it was outside, outside, outside.
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down