Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions!

5 posters

Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions!

Post  hockeyhevva Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:40 pm

We were asked to meet at 12.45pm prompt and to be honest I think we were all ten minutes early for once! If the rest of the team felt like me I was eager to get on the hockey pitch and play some hockey!

We warmed up then listened to Captian Rachel's words of wisdom and motivation and the team was raring to go and win the game to become champions.

The game began and we started strongly, passing the ball well between the midfield and forward line.
Within the first five minutes we were in the attacking D, passing the ball around and we'd beaten the keeper, a push at the goal was unfortunately cleared by a staveley player's... foot!!! We all looked to the umpire for a flick but she seemed oblivious and it wasn't given. We all huffed but knew it couldn't get to us, we must keep going!

Staveley got the ball through our midfield and started the attack on our defence. Rachel Booth flew back to defend and cleared the ball out well to Emma who did one of her signature runs up the wing and crossed the ball to Helen but unfortunately the ball found Helens feet.

Staveley had another run into our defending D and were rewarded a short corner but we kept calm and the ball was cleared without a problem.

Play continued to go back and forth with our midfield and attackers passing well up the pitch but not quite being able to get in the attacking D. Staveley would then attack again but we defended well and Megan made some fantastic saves. Hilary and Annie also defended excellently stopping any attackers getting through.

A fast Staveley player had a lot of pace and stormed through our lines of defence but Megan cooly stepped forward and quite frankly stopped her dead in her tracks! Brilliant keeping yet again!

A 16 yd hit found it's way to Helen on the half way line who passed it beautifully wide to Jo. Jo then passed it back to Helen then to Emma who took it wide to the right, creating space for a lovely hit into the D to Molly who forced a great save from the keeper! Unlucky!

At half time we were not frustrated. We knew we were the better team and with some advise from Andy and more motivation from Rachel we went out again prepared to fight hard.

We continued to pressurise the Staveley defence with some lovely passes and shots into the D but we just couldn't find the backboard.

Eventually we found the defenders feet and were awarded a short corner. With an intention of slipping it right to Helen we had a plan of action. The ball came out, I looked at Helen and all I could see was Staveley players surrounding her. So I attempted a push forward but unfortunately, yet again we just couldn't quite squeeze it past the keeper.

However, not to worry as we soon had another short corner.
Great injection from Hilary. The ball found the right post and the goalkeeper stopped it under her foot, we got it out and Emma pushed it towards goal, it hit a defenders foot but Emma and Molly were on it again, advantage was played by Paul and Emma pushed it towards the goal, via a defenders stick into the goal!!! 1-0!!!!

We continued to push hard and were awarded more short corners but we were unable to convert.

When Staveley came through, Hilary was always in the D to clear any loose balls! No nonsense defence from an amazing player!

The left side of the pitch was defended brilliantly by Annie who also found any loose balls and cleared well to the midfielders.

Rachel Booth, Rachel Lacey, Molly, Jo and Sue did a fantastic job at supporting defence and also supporting the front-line. They ran their socks off!!!

We continued with some fantastic runs between Whippet, Helen, Emma and Molly who all played brilliantly and didn't give up once if they lost a ball.

With Staveley pushing hard into the last two minutes, most of their players were attempting an attack but we all pulled together and marked them out of the game.

The final whistle went and we all erupted in cheers, including the amazing support on the sideline from family, friends and fellow club and team players.

We'd like to thank you all for your help and support, it really does make a difference! I know it always helps when you are chasing that younger, fitter, faster player down the sideline. Even though deep down I know I'll never catch her, the friendly shouts of encouragement on the sideline kept me determined to reach her!

Thank you also to Paul for some excellent umpiring and to Andy for helping coach us at half time.

I think I also need to thank Rachel Booth, 3rd team captain. You have been passionate and determined to achieve promotion and you really have helped motivate us through all the games to work hard and achieve all that we have so far this season.

Now, to the team. Well done everyone! Even those that didn't play yesterday, we could not have done it without you. Well done everybody. Its been a fantastic team and I think we've done ourselves proud! Good hard work but also we've had a lot of laughs on the way!

Player of the match went to the amazing Hilary for her amazing defending and that infectious laugh!

Donkey went to me... I forgot the player of the match shirt!!!..Sorry Hil!

Well done again ladies! CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

[img]Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! 69905311[/img]

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! 6990568749_be53268a0e_b

hockeyhevva

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty Congratulations!!

Post  Anna Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Well done everyone!! A great achievement! Brilliant!

Looking forward to the end of season dinner to join in with your celebrations! cheers
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty We Are The Champions (Queen)

Post  RachB Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:22 am

Well done ladies! You made me one proud captain on Saturday.

It was not an easy match; Staveley gave us a run for our money and at times played some really nice hockey. Our nerves were obvious in the 1st half as we struggled to find our groove and flow like we know we can. The blatant stroke that never was didn't help but we moved past it and got on with the job.

After some of the brilliant goals we've scored this season it's very ironic that our league winning goal was an ugly scrabble between Emma, me and Staveley's goalkeeper, much helped out by the Staveley player who somehow diverted the ball into her own goal..... (I would not have wanted to be her on Saturday!) But hey, you take whatever you can get tongue

On more than one level I've never been so glad to hear a final whistle.........

Thanks to everyone who came to support, the crowd on the sidelines was amazing and I can't begin to tell you how much you all helped us. Thanks Andy for your help on the sideline and at half time - your words of wisdom had a positive effect on all of us. Thanks also to Paul Bradley for another great umpiring performance. But mostly thanks to my girls for working so hard on Saturday (and all season) and for turning up not just on time but for many of you (shock, horror!) turning up early Wink

We have 2 games left; it's going to feel great to be a position to not have to win them, however it would be great to enjoy them and go out on a high - imagine how great it would be to have an unbeaten league season?

RachB

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty The bit that HockeyHevva missed out ;-)

Post  Annie Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 am

Not sure how to put this but basically have to add a bit that Heather's forgotten... Must be Chris's note taking ;-)

Heather - You have produced some amazing match reports this season but you keep missing a certain element... You! You were awesome on Saturday as you are every match and play a vital role in our attacking and defensive shorts, your signature runs through the middle demolishing their midfield and great strikes that get the ball back up the other end when our feet fail to do so. Sorry not saying that any of the rest of you are not amazing - you totally are but Heather's done an ace job of saying that.

While I'm rambling on... how amazing were those defensive shorts when Sue and then Emma totally blew them away (running 1 or 2 or whatever they're called). I think I play a back sometimes just so I can stand back and admire you lot really.

Have loved playing with you all this season, feel particularly privileged to play and learn from Hilary and Heather at the back and as for Megan... Well I've done what I can to challenge her, own goals, tripping her over... It's only cos I luv ya (& that Donkey t-shirt). But having a strong and confident goalie has made such a difference to the Ladies 3rds squad. You've done really well Megan, it's great to see how you've improved... You're going places girlie. (Geese, have I just complimented Megan - I'll never hear the end of it, find the delete key)

Rachel - Heather's said it brilliantly. Thank you for being a great Captain and getting us to the top. Now go and celebrate.

Saturday supporters, again echo Heather's words. So often you think you've lost the battle and you guys made us realise it's still there to be won. Thank you so much, it really made such a difference and we all appreciated it.

Annie
Annie

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty League Champions !!

Post  Joanna Mullis Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 am

Wooo Well Done Ladies...

I've been in a fortunate position of playing in a couple teams that have been promoted recently and I guess that shows the strength of the club and how much everybody/team is developing. It was very important to the club that the 3rds move up a division and therefore to the squad members that did play on Sat well done. To those who didn't, please remember that you are very much part of the squad, your time will come and it was lovely to see a couple of you there to be part of the achievement. I have seen so much improvement within the squad, I always try and take time to acknowledge this and have spoken to a few of you. Please try to continue to make training and summer league, learn from everybody around you. It will be even more important that the whole squad improves skills, fitness and playing as a team next year, although it has to be said that your are already doing well in these departments.

Although I have had a tough season and these may be my last games, I do find myself sad to not be able to continue with you and share in the excitement of what next year holds for you, however I hope to find something to keep me linked to the club.

I would like to acknowledge that Rachel is a absolutely fantastic Captain and I could wax lyrical about everything that she has done to pull this amazing achievement off... but I don't won't to give her a big head.
Thanks to Andy for his guidance and support to Rachel during the season. Also thanks to everyone else whom has contributed to this years success, you know who you are Smile

It was lovely to see so many of the 1sts and 2nds down pitchside to see us bring home the title. The 2nds had to travel from their away game to be with us. They have a similar situation next week when they have an important crunch game which could see them a step closer to being League Champions themselves and as a club we should all be supporting each other, I know I'll be pitchside at 10:30am to cheer them on too !

WELL DONE GIRLS !!

Lets enjoy the last couple of games Smile

J
xxx
Joanna Mullis
Joanna Mullis

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty Lucky Match Ball

Post  RachB Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:35 pm

I totally forgot to mention in my earlier post that there is another very good reason why we won the match last Saturday.......

When I was warming up I entrusted Anna with the most responsible job there is - to look after the match ball! Anna took this role very seriously completely understanding that she was playing an important part of the day's events. So when I suggested (rather cheekily) that she kiss the ball to bring us good luck she obligingly did so!

Thanks Anna - you did us proud! Razz

RachB

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions! Empty Re: Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds beat Staveley to become league champions!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down