Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley

4 posters

Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley Empty Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley

Post  hockeyhevva Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, in the words of the famous Charlie Sheen, we're WINNING!

After a quick boogy in the sports hall to the Venga Boys we went out onto the pitch to warm up (and support the 2nds!).

Rachel had her laminates (and clipboard!) at the ready and gave us, as usual,a motivational team talk and we went out raring to go.

Staveley started without a keeper (due to her being delayed at the hairdresssers!) so we knew that we needed to gain the advantage early but also be wary of them having an extra player outfield.

Both sides started strongly, but it was clear from the off that Asterdale were the better side.

We pushed hard for ten minutes, with obsession mainly being in our attacking half. We had a strong team with a formation that was working a treat with set plays between certain members being excellent.

I also have to thank the supporters on the sideline at this point. The heavens opened and everybody, players and supporters, got drenched. Not much fun for anybody, so thank you.

Staveley had a couple of chances early on. They got into the D, causing a little panic, but the calm and collected Julie Ann stopped the ball, inches away from crossing the line. No problem!

A few minutes later there was a great chance through excellent teamwork from the forward line, but unfortunately after a bit of a scramble, the ball went slightly too wide to make it the first goal of the match.

After 15 mins, and still no Staveley keeper we had yet another push up front which was finished off by big sis Anna, who we 'borrowed' from the 2nds.

1-0!!!

Confidence was up and even the arrival of Staveley's keeper didn't fault the Derby Asterdale team. With a sideline hit, the fabulous Hillary hit the ball perfectly through Staveley players to reach Tracey in the middle of the pitch. She received the ball and turned quickly to see Anna running into the D. She released the ball early to Anna, who struck it into the corner of the goal.

2-0!!!

Two minutes later, some excellent play from captain Rachel resulted in Tracey once again receiving the ball and with the help of Jess up front, she scored our third of the match.

3-0!!!

Just before half time Staveley were awarded with a short corner. After a scramble on the post, unfortunately, Staveley got the ball over the line.

3-1.

At half time we assessed the situation and once again reminded ourselves we were definitely the better side and could easily not allow Staveley another goal.

We remained strong at the beginning of the second half, but it was clear Staveley had not been disheartened and they remained determined.

15 minutes in and we witnessed a beautiful goal by Rachel Huskisson. After receiving the ball from captain rachel at the top of the D she turned and smacked the ball perfectly past the keeper. It was a fantastic goal.

4-1!!!

Not long after this staveley gave us another panic by getting into our defending D but with a great dive from Megan and excellent clearance from Hillary we were not to worry.

What followed was a number of short corners that unfortunately didn't end up with a goal.

However, on the fourth (or fifth) short corner, Rachel H pushed out to Captain Rachel, who smacked the ball perfectly at the goal, only to be saved by a Staveley player's...foot...PENALTY!!!

Rachel nominated Anna to take, and very braveley, she accepted. There was no need for her to worry as she took an excellent flick, resulting in the ball hitting the backboard with that lovely sound we all like to hear when taking a flick!

5-1!!!

A few more short corners were given to us but unfortunately we weren't able to score any more, Rachel even tried decapitating a few Staveley players out of desperation!

All in all, once again, a brilliant win from the thirds. Everybody played incredibly well and the teamwork was evident throughout the game.

Tracey, Jess/Karjal and Julie Ann were excellent on the forward line with Anna's support at the top of the diamond. The midfield, consisting of Rachel H, Emma and Captain Rachel who set up goals but also supported defence when it was needed. And Annie and Hillary defended amazingly with Megan in goal who stopped Staveley gaining more than one goal.

Man of the match went to Emma who had some excellent runs up the right hand side of the pitch but also helped us a huge amount in defending our half.

Donkey of the day went to Tracey who decided to drive to the old pub for refreshments, only to turn up to an empty carpark and wonder where everyone was!

Thank you to our supporters from family, friends and the seconds and to both umpires who we supplied. I hope you've all dried off!

Well played ladies!!!

OVER AND OUT...

[img] Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley Photo_11[/img]

hockeyhevva

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley Empty Another great match report!

Post  RachB Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:07 am

You're really good at this Heather! Now I don't only have to worry about having a big hole in our defence when you're not available but also I have to worry about who's going to be able to write a match report like this!!

Heather forgot to mention herself in the defence as she played a very calm and assured defensive game with some great hit outs flying across the pitch and all this whilst being in pain with an injured hip!! Also it's fair to point out that during the scramble in the D that produced Staveley's goal Heather got headbutted and was somewhat dazed which gave them the chance to get the ball past her and score.

It was a fantastic team performance once again with some great individual performances combining to make us a very stong force to be reckoned with. Hilary, Julieann and Emma played on the right like they had been playing together for years, it was pretty unbelievable that this was the first time the three had played together.

We are now top of the league on goal difference - our challenge is to stay there!

RachB

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley Empty A great start to the season!!

Post  shezza Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Well having watched the thirds as well as playing my own game - there is no chance of a match report from me as I'm confused which one was which - especially as the score was the same!! Just wanted to say what a great performance from the thirds - you gelled really well together despite a mixed team. Rachel - credit to you for your organisation and leadership - I'm sure you will do really well this season. Now that I have done the creeping - perhaps you could write my match report!!! Ho ho.

Sheridan
x

shezza

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley Empty Re: Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley

Post  Birdy Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:17 am

I still think nicknames would be useful for the Rachels....Boothy has a nice ring to it don't you think?! :oD hehe.

Good game girls, good start to the season & Rach - unbeaten captain !yay! :-) xx
Birdy
Birdy

Back to top Go down

Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley Empty Re: Derby Asterdale Ladies 3rds vs Staveley

Post  RachB Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 am

Birdy - thanks for that! Next the whole club will be calling me Boothy :-)

Let's hope that tomorrow's match against Ashbourne keeps up our winning streak. Unfortunately we've no Heather tomorrow so we need to find a new chief reporter... any offers?

xx

RachB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down