Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHECK THIS OUT --- Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win !

5 posters

Go down

CHECK THIS OUT ---  Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win ! Empty CHECK THIS OUT --- Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win !

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:29 am

So another Sunday morning arrives and I’ve woken once again to that warm contented feeling that comes after a terrific win.

Only Becky missing today and no illness or injuries to worry about, a wet pitch playing well and team out for only 1 thing – A WIN.

Loughborough Students came to us with the well-deserved reputation for playing hard fast technical hockey that at times can be devastating to the opposition, but today we matched them and in fact surpassed them in several departments.

As they arrived with a full squad of 16 players plus their 1st XI player/coach there was not one look of fear in any Derby players eyes, as following a chilled out team meeting we approached the game in a relaxed style believing that we could get a result today if we played to our potential. And boy did we do just that.

The game started at a tremendous pace as right from the off the Loughb’ centre forward took the self pass from the start whistle and drove hard at our midfield, a slick well rehearsed passing movement saw the whole forward line bearing down on our ‘d’ inside 8 seconds, but a great piece of cool defending from Kelly snuffed out this attack and settled everyone’s nerves.

The match began to develop into one of great technical expertise from both teams as we matched Loughborough in every department; our passing was slick and at pace with no unforced errors and no panic creeping into the game at all.

Amanda Petrie appeared to be targeted by the Loughb’ attacked in the early exchanges as she was continually closed down every time she had possession by 3 players, but her great passing choices of short and long crashing balls saw them begin to back off realising that her defensive distribution qualities deserved more respect than they were giving her.

With Kath and Goose controlling centre midfield along with Rachael and Helena out wide, our tactics and strong distribution was causing Loughb’ all sorts of problems, Anna and Taran up front were making clever incisive runs and the defensive unit held together by Skaifey seemed to snuff out most attacks.

On 12 minutes a fantastic timed run by Taran saw her break away from the Lough’ defence but unfortunately Anna’s through pass from Midfield didn’t find its target to create the opening chance but Anna would more than make up for this minor error and this tactic would prove devastating in the later stages of the match.

Lough’ just didn’t stop coming at us in the 1st half but our composure held and we attacked their ‘d’ just as much as they did ours.

½ time came with the scores at 0-0 but I knew Lough’ would come at us hard at the start of the 2nd period which was to become another chapter in the tale of Anna Nielson.

From the start of the 2nd ½ we went out with more belief and controlled passion than I have seen all season and just 2 minutes in that was rewarded with a stunning opening goal.

A fired up Anna broke away from her marker on half way, a quick early ball saw her 1 on 1 with the keeper, as she drove in fully 40 mtrs from goal I have to admit my heart was racing – Take Your Time Anna, Keep your composure, go round the keeper! - guess what she did, in an act of sublime skill, at pace she drew the keeper out, a fantastic reverse stick deft touch saw her round the keeper and able to slot home into the open net, a superb display of skill and composure – which was more than could be said from the side line as I have to admit I WENT FREEKIN’ NUTS !!! What a goal.

This certainly stirred Lough’ into action but almost every attack saw them snubbed out by a great Midfield and Defensive performance. They did though begin to win penalty corners against us but time after time the injection was poor and when they did get it right they found a fired up Skipper in Marie bearing down on them and invariably stealing the ball, on the odd occasion when they did get the shots away, once again Lisa was not found wanting in goal.

As the clock began to tick down and we approached the final 10 minutes of the match we all knew this game was there to be won but we couldn’t take Lough’ for granted.

On 61 minutes though the nerves began to ease a little as guess who – Nielson – popped up inside the ‘d’ to slot home her 2nd of the day and once again send the bench NUTS as we went 2-0 up with just 7 minutes to go.

But it wasn’t over yet………………….

Just 2 minutes later Lough’ were awarded a penalty corner, once again this was broken down by Marie’s charge out but the follow up attack saw a Lough’ attacker for once unmarked 5 yards out from goal and able to slip the ball past an annoyed Lisa to make the score 2-1 and make the final few minutes a very very tense affair.

Again though it wasn’t over yet………………….

With just 3 minutes to go in a flash back from the opening minutes of the 2nd half a terrific run by Anna enabled the through ball to once again find her open and able to run 1 on 1 with the keeper, but this time she had 2 defenders closing her down from behind.

Crash 1 tackle goes in on Anna from behind– Penalty Stroke! Advantage played.

Crash another Tackle goes in on Anna as she looked to shoot– Penalty Stroke again – Advantage played.

Once again though in a great display of calmness she managed to round the keeper, but the 2 defenders had read this and drove hard to cover behind the keeper, but Anna was not to be denied as she calmly split the 2 defenders with a deft flick into the corner of the goal to send me this time ABSOLUTELY NUTS, WATER BOTTLES IN THE AIR THE WHOLE 9 YARDS !!!!!!

What a hat trick.

An unfortunate injury to Kath in the last couple of minutes saw us come under the cosh but we held it together to gain a fantastic win against a very very VERY good team.

As the final whistle blew the joy was there for all to behold as huge yelps of delight could be heard – Loughb’ players on the bench said “God, you’d think they’d won the league” and you know what, that’s just how it felt.

Derby Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughbrough Students 3rd XI

The comments immediately after the game to me from the Lough’ coach really said everything.

She congratulated us on our win and couldn’t believe we were only 5th in the table, she also commented on the difference from our 1st fixture against them saying that the improvement was outstanding. Testimony to a lot of hard work ladies.

We now sit in 5th place needing just 3 points from our remaining 3 matches to be assured of Midlands next season as once again in our 10 team league 5 GET RELEGATED, but we could finish a high as 3rd and we will be going all out to do just that.

A quick word on the Umpiring today. We all know just how important the quality of umpiring can be to a fixture and we have suffered on occasions again this season but today I thought was exceptional.

I don’t want this to sound funny but its testimony sometimes to not see the umpires in a game. There was not 1 occasion today when either Umpires decision was bought into question, as a coach and I spoke with Lough’ about this too, that’s exactly what we want and both of us thought it was an exemplary performance. We all know Nigel’s quality of umpiring and he showed his understanding and reading of the game perfectly on Anna’s 3rd goal, giving 2 great pieces of advantage an allowing Anna the opportunity to score.

A great performance from both umpires.

I don’t want to wax lyrical too much on today’s performance but everything fell into place today, from the team meeting through to the start of the game and right through the next 70 minutes. The euphoria at the final whistle and the feeling from each and every squad member is something to hold on to.

We are just getting better and better, we have the belief to match our skill set and I would mirror Nigel’s comments at the end of the game, "That’s the best I too have seen the squad as a whole perform – ever! " There have been some big performance to measure this one against but lets just put it into context.

Loughborough came down from Div 2 last season because of administrative failures resulting in huge points deduction, they would have finished runners up in div 2 last year and moved on into div 1, but we beat them and matched them in every department today.

We were looking at the possibility of relegation back to Derbyshire so the pressure was all on us.

The last 3 games saw us on the end of 2 poor defeats and an under par scrappy win against Ashbourne so form certainly wasn’t on our side.

But we did it. I cant recall more than 5 – 6 passes that went astray today, no “Give Away” crashes, no poor tackling and exceptional distribution. Wonderful.

Next week we face the long away trip to 3rd place Shrewsbury where Midlands hockey WILL be assured for next season.

A great team performance, see you all Tuesday.

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

CHECK THIS OUT ---  Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win ! Empty Re: CHECK THIS OUT --- Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win !

Post  Anna Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 am

Firstly, about the 3rd goal. I can't take credit for all of that! Taran helped me get round the keeper with a great one-two (wouldn't have done it without her!)

Brilliant game - everybody played at their best together! It was very enjoyable and great to see so many of us happy!

We will take it into next week and secure midlands hockey again for next season (although I make it another 4 points needed Andy?!?)

Well done all of us!!! Very Happy cheers
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

CHECK THIS OUT ---  Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win ! Empty Re: CHECK THIS OUT --- Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win !

Post  nigel Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:52 am

Wow Andy.... That took me longer to read than one of the lord of the rings books. Lol

As you said andy, I truly believe that yesterday was the best I've seen you play. Everyone in the team played to their potential....

Greet hat trick Anna, special mention about the 3rd.. Thought the umpire played excellent advantage (twice) for you to score...... Oh it wasn't back stick btw!!!!!

The students are a very skilfull team and to match them in every asspect is a credit to each and everyone of you.

Bring on the shrews

xxx
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 am

Almost forgot.....

Awesome lisa... Smile
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

CHECK THIS OUT ---  Ladies 1st XI 3 - 1 Loughborough Students - What a win ! Empty League Status

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 am

OK a definitive answer to what we need:

Current position

Derby......................... Pld 15.................. Pts 22...................GD -3
Bridgford..................... Pld 15 ................. Pts 16...................GD -8

To play

Derby:

Shrewsbury Away
Matlock Home
Stavely Away

Bridgford:

Matlock Away
Stavely Home
Cannock Away

I believe that we will both beat Staveley which will still leave a 6 point gap. I can't see Bridgeford beating both Matlock and Cannock away and attaining a goal swing to them of +5 in the remaining games hence my comments.

Hope that clarifies.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:44 am

Not much more I can add to this other than to thank my defence for never giving in. You lot had a really hard game this week and you all played really well.

Nigel, well umpired, Anna, Taran were superb up front as always and you mids just ran and ran and ran. Proud of the lot of you I am Smile

Last edited by Admin on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Taran Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 am

Well played Girlies!!!!

A fantastic team performance that showed grit, determination and a will to win with some great individual skills. Anna once again on top form and I must say you made the goals look easy! I think each and everyone of us should be proud of ourselves and this includes you coach. Nigel you were spot on again with your decisions yesterday so well played to you too!

Another performance is needed like this next week girls, so make sure we all come with the same winning attitude again! :-) See you all at training.
Taran
Taran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down