Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 mistakes cost Ladies 1st XI victory at Shrewsbury

2 posters

Go down

2 mistakes cost Ladies 1st XI victory at Shrewsbury Empty 2 mistakes cost Ladies 1st XI victory at Shrewsbury

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 am

Shrewsbury 2 – 1 Derby

A disappointing day for the Ladies 1st XI as again circumstances seemed to cost us a positive result......................

Yes the pitch was appalling, yes one official seemed to have an “off day” but despite this the responsibility lies squarely on our shoulders.

We started strongly with Anna and Taran up front causing major problems for the Shrews defence, time and time again they broke at pace and could have had a couple of goals but tight angle attempts and good defending stopped them opening the scoring.

Shrews are not in 3rd place without good reason though, they came at us hard with great midfield and support play as time and time again they appeared to have the extra outlay in midfield causing us serious problems.

The 1st half was a tense but even affair with the back 4 of Marie, Amanda, Skaifey and Kelly under great pressure at times, but each of them handled it with great composure allowing the midfield to “do their thing”. A quick ball through midfield on 22mins could have seen us take the lead as Anna picked up the ball on ½ way and slipped the pass on to Taran who fully 30 meters out from goal drove hard, like Anna last week she was composed as she dew out the keeper and rounded her with ease but the angle was acute and she dragged her shot just wide. A great attacking move though.

½ time came and we certainly knew we were in a battle and had to tighten up in centre midfield to not allow Shrews to play their tight passing game.

From the re-start is was 50/50 with Shrews going out for the win and Derby the same. On 40 mins though disaster struck. Shrews attacked on mass and on driving into the ‘D’ for once we failed to pick up the incoming centre Midfielder, she was left all alone on the top of the ‘D’ and a simple pass enabled her to just pick her spot to send Shrews into the lead 1-0.

For the following 20 minutes we totally dominated proceedings as we searched for the equaliser.

Our commitment levels were huge as we knew the importance of a positive result today. Unfortunately on 50 mins we lost Ali for a brief spell after a deflected ball lifted into her face giving her a real shiner but just 5 mins later we were back in the match as Rachael found herself unmarked from an acute angle some 12 yards out but managed to squeeze in her shot off the far post to give us the goal we deserved.

Shrews 1 – 1 Derby.

As we continued to press hard for the winner a couple of strange decisions seemed to raise the anxiety levels of the team. A foul on Rachael just outside the area when in motion for the through pass to Anna saw the ball still break free to Anna inside the ‘d’ with a clear shot on goal, incredibly the whistle blew to pull the ball back for the foul some 3 seconds after the offence to the utter shock of everyone – with exception of the Shrews supporters who commented “Boy did we get away with that one”

Only 2 mins later a driven ball towards the Shrews ‘d’ came up of the defenders stick and hit her on the upper thigh, the ump gave the hit to Shrews and despite the 2nd umpire ( he was stood with me and had a perfect view) stopping the match to speak with the other umpire the decision stood. Other small decisions seemed to go the same way too.

But the killer goal again was our own fault as unbelievably we didn’t learn our lesson from Shrews 1st goal as again we left a player totally unmarked on the top of the circle and again a simple ball let her pick her spot to send Shrews into the lead 2-1.

We pushed hard right to the final whistle but just couldn’t find the equalising goal we thoroughly deserved.

Final Score: Shrewsbury 2 – 1 Derby

Overview

No excuses really for today. We all know that at this level of Hockey mistakes can cost you very dear and today that’s just what happened.

There was no question of commitment or desire dropping from the team, but this was without doubt a team in Shrewsbury we know we can – and should have – beaten.

If we ever needed to see the value of the full squad system today was it. Losing Helena through Illness Saturday Morning and with Teresa playing 2’s today a bare 12 was tough to play with as in some areas fatigue did set in and changes to formation and tactics were very difficult.

Every player out there though gave their all and I thought that Kelly in particular played with terrific calmness and composure.

I'm known for my passion in this game and my total commitment to this team, something that is mirrored in each and every player who pulls on a Derby 1st XI team shirt. I hate to see the huge looks of anger and dissapointment after a game like todays but I'm absolutely confident we will turn this around over the next few days.

We still sit 6 points clear of the relegation slot of 6th place and have a superior goal difference from our nearest rivals of +6 so next weeks match v Matlock at home - 12 noon start - again is of huge bearing on the season with just 1 point being enough to ensure a 3rd consecutive season in Midlands – something every one of these players deserves.

Wig of Wonderment Winner - Rachael.

Next Week

Home 12 noon

V Matlock
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

2 mistakes cost Ladies 1st XI victory at Shrewsbury Empty looking forwards

Post  alison kerr Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:13 am

yes a dissapointing loss, but still a great atmosphere and desire amongst the team which was also evident in our training session last night. I know we will carry this over into the game on Saturday against Matlock and will come away with points - looking forward to the occassion. have a good rest of the week everyone
x
ali

alison kerr

Back to top Go down