Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat.

4 posters

Go down

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat. Empty Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat.

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:12 am

Derby 2 – 4 Northampton

A very different Northampton team from the one that finished 6th last season came to Wilsthorpe today to face the Ladies 1st XI in the opening League fixture of 2011/12.

Northampton 1’s were promoted to National League last season and several of that league winning team decided to drop to the 2nd XI as they didn’t want the commitment to National League and as a result they put out a very strong side today.

With ourselves having a bare 12 with one carrying an injury aggravated on Tuesday at training we should have been under the cosh from the off but we did ourselves proud.

The game started at a blistering pace with both sides creating opportunities but with both defences playing well each effort was snubbed out with great strength and organisation.

But in was Northampton who eventually took the lead from a well struck penalty corner that Theresa got to but the bal deflected high off her stick and looped over the stranded Lisa in goal.

Derby 0 – 1 Northampton.

We restarted hard though and held our heads and shape well with in particular the midfield unit of H, Kelly, Kath and the incomparable Ali playing superbly.

We got our rewards on 16 mins from our own PC. A well-drilled and executed training ground corner saw Marie slam home from close range to bring the scores level.

Derby 1 – 1 Northampton.

Northampton had 3 superb players who controlled the game well but we continued to play some exhilarating Hockey ourselves but our opponents looked so dangerous on the break despite the efforts of the back 4.

On 23 mins Northampton took the lead again, we failed to clear our ‘D’ properly and gifted the ball to the centre forward at the top of the circle, her shot was like a bullet but it was hit well wide however somehow we had left the post player who (I think with her eyes shut) wafted a stick away from her body to make contact and squeeze the ball in.

Derby 1 – 2 Northampton.

The efforts we were putting in were beginning to take there toll as we had to rest Amanda due to her back injury and the wingers were beginning to feel the pace.

We did however continue to probe at the Saints defence and following a slick move out from midfield it was Becky that found herself 7 yds out with her back to goal and the ball at her feet, she somehow managed to pivot the ball off her left foot and rifle home the equaliser.

Derby 2 – 2 Northampton.

Then disaster struck as almost from the re-start Becky took a hard knock to the inside of her knee and had to come off, with the slim squad today I had to put Amanda back on despite her back spasms up front.

Half time

The second half continued at the same pace as the first with both teams exchanging great attacking moves with great defensive displays. But the pace was beginning to tell on us.

On 43 mins it was Northampton that took the lead once again from a penalty corner. This was straight out of a premiership teams drill book. The drag out was so quick it left the striker all the time in the world to pick her slot slamming home the ball under the diving Lisa.

Derby 2 – 3 Northampton.

As the game drew towards a close we had 4 or 5 players with just nothing left in the tank. Theresa had come off due to illness with fatigue, which meant Becky with her damaged knee had to go back on, Northampton saw there chance to finish us off and did just that with a final goal on 61 mins as a break away saw us left 3 on 2 at the back, they played the ball around the stranded defenders and the centre forward once again took her chance rifling the ball high into the goal to finish the scoring and condemn us to our first opening day defeat in Midlands.

Final Score

Derby 2 – 4 Northampton.

A few personal notes.

We competed fantastically today. Yes we had a lot of things against us with injuries causing us for the first time to see the effects of fatigue, with so few subs available we couldn’t do our rotations and our effectiveness with the pace we play at was lost towards the end.

I’m taking nothing away from anyone today though. The efforts put in were exceptional, Ali and H were on their knees at times and both Amanda and Becky both played though injuries (although commendable for their courage this was also something I will ensure never has to happen again).

Northampton were very very good at times and their new acquisitions made all the difference but I would state had we had all players fit and available we could have turned them over.

A loss yes but lots of positives.

Man of the Match - Ali Kerr

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat. 305827_286685698008408_100000009416931_1190185_2118653597_n

Donkey - Laura Parker (Oh how the mighty have fallen, last week MOM this weeks Donkey LOL)

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat. 295966_286686021341709_100000009416931_1190186_223578450_n
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat. Empty tired yes, but not out!!

Post  ali kerr Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:14 am

HI all, thanks for the match report Andy - a good reflection of the game. Yes all credit to Northampton they were a good side and we had a very even matched game - albeit the second half saw us a little fatigued. However the standard of play was the best I have seen us play for a long time - summer games at Beeston have certainly helped the creativity and movement off the ball. Good team support, and as you always say depth and unity across the field shown again. yes I ache all over today in places you wouldn't imagine - not quite sure how - but here you go. Bring on training on Tuesday and Newark away next week. X Ali. bounce

ali kerr

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat. Empty Re: Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat.

Post  Admin Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:15 am

You always know when you played a hard game when the next day you actually can not walk!!!

I'm proud of the girls today as we just kept going, I'm not at all miffed about the result as our own hockey was of a high standard and every single person came off the pitch at the end absolutely pooped!

I feel confident that with a full squad next week, we will hold our own and beat Newark!

I'm looking forward to next week girls coz I want us to kick the hell out of Newark What a Face

Now I'm going back to lay down as I still can't walk...am getting too old for this! scratch
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat. Empty Re: Ladies 1st 2 - 4 Northampton .................Lds 1's start league with a defeat.

Post  RachB Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:11 am

Well done ladies- it sounds like you really did us proud! The standard that you played at and the effort that you put in yesterday can only prove positive throughout the long run of the season.

On a personal note I'm really glad to hear that you fit lot are aching on a Sunday - I was starting to worry that it was only me ;-)

Go kick the collective ass of Newark next week!!

Rach xx

RachB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down