Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts.

5 posters

Go down

Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts. Empty Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts.

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:27 am

Derby Lds 1st XI 3 – 1 Newark Lds 1st XI

Like I said before "winnings a habit" and that continued today in our opening league fixture at Wilsthorpe against newcomers to the Midlands League Newark.

With key players missing including skipper Marie I have to admit to some nerves before the game but when you look at this team we are a good, solid and versatile unit.

Newark arrived on the back of an almost 100% winning season last year in the Notts Premier League and - as stated on their web site – their confidence of turning over last seasons pre season result against us was high (thanks for that in helping with motivating the team) but by full time they found out just how competitive Midlands Hockey is.

They did however start off the better team putting us on the back foot in the opening 10 minutes and forcing GK Lisa into action early doors, but these attacks were snuffed out thanks to some good defending from stand in Beth and the rest of the back line.

From our 2nd PC on 11 mins the initial shot from Anna was parried and it was Taran who was first to react following a save from the Newark keeper to steal the ball and slot home with ease from close range to start our campaign this year.

As we began to get our formation a little more organised the game was still pretty end to end with both teams attacking hard but without end result. We were still not exactly at our best with some sloppy passages of passing and too many turnovers for my liking but we were beginning to settle.

However it was Newark who were to draw level on 17 mins with a strike from a short corner that Lisa (leapt like a spawning salmon) and pushed the ball wide of the goal only for the Newark injector to manage to get a stick on it and deflect it in to the near post to send them into raptures at their 1st Midlands league goal.

In a show of experience though we then started to take a hold of the match and it was a great piece of individual skill that saw us re-take the lead before ½ time.

As Kelly broke away from her marker in Midfield she found space to the right on the high side of Newark ‘D’, with great skill she turned her hands and struck the ball on her reverse with a bullet strike. For all watching it looked as though the ball was flying into the Newark goal but Taran managed to get a telling deflection and score her 2nd of the match to send us in 2-1 up at ½ time.

A quick team talk and re-enforcement of requirements sent us out knowing that with an early goal we would surely put Newark away and secure the points.

Newark however had a different idea as they came at us strong from the re-start in an almost exact repeat of the 1st period. We held out though and on 47 mins we got our just deserts with another goal this time her 1st of the season from Laura Skaife again following up a penalty corner. Derby 3 – 1 Newark.

For the remainder of the match the game developed into a very rough and physical encounter with some quite cynical tackles coming in trying to prevent us playing and in fairness the teams could have been at 10 a side at one stage but for some very sensible umpiring.

So the game ran out with us on top and gaining our first 3 points of the season along with Newark in the unusual situation of losing a match.

DERBY 3-1 NEWARK

Quick Summary

We certainly did not play at our best today – far from it – but we did win and we did put the mileage in. Having only 12 players resulted in the midfielders having to go at it for longer periods of the match than they are used to, but they still did well.

Anna was double-teamed the whole match but that just left room for others to play in. Kelly was superb particularly in the 1st half and Lisa (GK) certainly kept us in the game at times.

Taran certainly came in for some rough treatment but rose above it and still got her match day double.

This set the standard. We played poorly at times with a depleted squad and still won. That’s a very positive sign for all.

Newark are no mugs and will learn quickly but today they found out a little of what Midlands is about, a lot of hard work, you are punished for your mistakes and the game pace is a lot higher than they have been used to.

But we got the deserved point and we can look forward to the return of our players next week and the trip to Leicester to continue our good start to the season.

Well done girls.

Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts. 62836_163052167038429_100000009416931_551958_7628479_n

Wig of Wonderment winners Lisa (shown) / Taran (not in picture)

Pants of shame Kelly

FOOTNOTE:

In a day full of quotes here's mine.....................

For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field
when the whistle blows and the coaches roar.

Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you
train and every night that you dream.

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts. Empty Re: Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts.

Post  Admin Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Great game girls,

It felt great beating Newark so come Christmas when he are well and truly warmed up, I know our result will be a lot more convincing!

See you all Tuesday! Xxx

Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts. Empty Re: Derby Lds 1st XI start league with a well deserved 3 goals and 3 pts.

Post  Marie Dymond Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:18 am

Well played girls - a great result!

I'm gutted to have missed it but knew you would win! Can't wait for next saturday!

See you all Tuesday,

Marie

xxx

ps
Welcome to the exclusive P of S club Kelly! Did you deserve them or were you stitched up as well?!
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

Ass coaching is completely different to umpiring you.. Yes, when i'm umpiring i feel nervous for you, but standing on the sideline on Saturday, I can understand how Coach Andy feels...... He's so right when he told me, he feels as though he's making every tackle, hitting every ball, saving every shot..!!!!!!! I did enjoy it though.....

It was a great game to watch and we showed a lot of strength and commitment to overcome what was a good team... Well deserved win Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lisa, as always.... truly awesome Smile Smile Smile Smile

And Marie, kelly was not stitched up.... But her trousers may want stitching up!!!!!!! lol! lol! lol!

Ass Coach..
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyO Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 pm

I was stiched up propor!!
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down