Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller

+5
BEX
Marie Dymond
Admin
ali kerr
Andy Taylor
9 posters

Go down

Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller Empty Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 am

First of all I need to let you all know I’ve had ¾ of a bottle of white pre writing this final piece of creative summarising for this half of the season so ignore any MASSIVE inaccuracies and emotional twaddle.

I’m still smiling after the fantastic result, after Ali’s scream at “Secret Santa”, after Anna’s sulk at her Yellow card, Amanda’s abject annoyance at getting donkey of the day, so many many happy moments, what a wonderful day.

I suppose I’d better get on with the game report …………………………

Any fixture away is tough but over previous weeks we have proven that being on the road certainly doesn’t bother us having won our last 4 away from home. But Northampton would be our biggest test of the season without a doubt, they score for fun and have a tremendous home record. Couple this with the fact that their 1st XI National League team had no fixture today we could have been seriously up against it but boy did we rise to the occasion.

I set the team up today with a combination of different tactics, a new corner routine and a belief that following recent results we could absolutely compete with this very good Northants team.

The game started as I thought with Northampton putting us on the back foot a little, but we more than matched their own enterprise with the midfield 4 working well together.

On 14 mins it was Anna that once again put fire in our bellies as she received a great through ball from midfield allowing her to drive in to the Northants D, as she unleashed a bullet shot the keeper looked well beaten as the ball headed towards the far corner of the goal, but in an act of shear poaching (just like Bex last week) it was Taran that found herself in prime position to deflect the ball past the helpless keeper and send us all into raptures.

As Anna was running back to the ½ way line re-start she shouted “Now that’s how to poach a goal !” which was met with huge laughs from all around.

Northampton 0 – 1 Derby

What followed was a 20 minute period of shear brilliance from Derby as our tactics allowed us to hold firm and counter attack at will. Anna broke through once again from midfield and found herself with a 1 on 1 but unfortunately chose to shoot instead of going round the keeper allowing for an easy save, but Anna certainly learned from that as on 26mins in a stunning move out of the back line and through midfield we saw Bex out wide who was able to slip the ball inside to Anna once again leaving her with a 1 on 1 but this time she chose to take on the keeper, rounding her with ease and slipping a brilliant square ball back to Bex who slammed home for a great team goal that ripped the Northants midfield & back line apart.

Northampton 0 – 2 Derby

With us now in total control Northants even pulled back their attacking midfield star into the back line to reduce the damage we were causing, we had them on the run.

There is a saying though that there’s nothing as dangerous as a wounded animal and with the seconds running out in the half Northants won their first corner of the match.

A slick out and a bullet strike saw a great save from Lisa only to see the rebound pop out to an unmarked striker who slotted the ball into an empty goal bringing our opponents back into the match at half time.

Northampton 1 – 2 Derby

Once again at half time the talk was of holding our lines tight and not giving away any silly possession, we were so in with a shout of getting something out of this game, spirits were high.

The 2nd half starts, 40 seconds in we conceded our 2nd corner, BANG, the ball hits the back of the goal with a bullet of a strike. Gutted, we had let a 2 goal lead slip from our grasp again !

Northampton 2 – 2 Derby

Could we recover ?

YOU BET WE COULD !!!!!!!!!

[size=18]A great attacking move saw Laura Parker drive down the left wing, an inch perfect pass to Bex allowed her to continue the run, as the Northants defence tried to close us down Bex still found time to drive into the ‘D’ and slip the ball back to Parker who unleashed her shot only to see it deflected high towards the goal, looping in almost slow motion over the keepers head to once again see us take the lead.

Northampton 2 – 3 Derby

AARRRGGG STRESS !!!! We were playing so well but could we hold on to the lead?

The match started to become end to end as both sides had the belief they could get points from this great tactical match.

On 52 mins we won another corner. At this point I took a big deep breath and signalled to Marie to play the indoor routine so successful at last week Midlands Indoor Tournament.

The injection – Good

The Return ball – Magnificent

The deflection – spot on

Anna’s finish – easily and calmly taken

What a great goal to once again give us a 2 goal cushion.

Northampton 2 – 4 Derby

18 mins to go, could we hold our shape and make certain of the 3 pts?

Almost from the re-start Northants win another corner and guess what, BANG

Northampton 3 – 4 Derby

WHAT A MATCH !!!!!!!

58 mins in………….

DISASTER !!!! Anna goes into a tackle with the Northants Left Midfield, after a scuffle we heard a loud whistle as Anna is called over to the Umpire.

YELLOW CARD !!!!

Raised elbow was the decision, very very very harsh. Anna £3 worse off with her fine and the team Down to 10 players, here we go with Northants now rampant in attack. Wave after wave of attacks come, corner after corner is awarded but we held firm – Lord knows how but some stunning defending was seen.

5 to go and Anna gets waved back on following her suspension, the whole team are now realising that we are on the brink of a well earned and well deserved victory but the tension was almost unbearable

Guess what happened next………………………..

THE FINAL WHISTLE

Northampton 3 – 4 Derby GET IN THERE !!!!!!!!!!!

Coaches notes:

Wow….. what a day.

Firstly the umpiring.

Shocking !!!!! Shockingly good that is (lol)

The home umpire came to us 2 weeks ago and performed very very well but today he proved it wasn’t a fluke game as he umpired with great control and understanding of the individual match. Both umpire let the game flow well but controlled it with assurance and good judgment. If only Paul had this support every week. Thanks guys.

Secondly, the Supporters

With the 3’s game postponed both Captain WAYCHULL Booth and Vice Captain Megan (NINJA) Price decided to take the opportunity to experience just what its like to be around a 1’s game.

What did you think girls? Scary ain’t it. (LOL)

To see club people on the sidelines was fantastic especially as it was such a distance from Wilsthorpe, hope we didn’t let you down.

I swear at more than one stage WAYCHULL had to sit in the dugout as she couldn’t stand the tension.

Finally. The Team….

Today showed just what this team is all about, passion, pride, understanding, creativity, defensive excellence, attacking flair and so much more.

Each player today fulfilled their roles almost to perfection, as a team we pressed well, we defended with aggression, we attacked with no fear and our midfield played with the flair they each have in abundance.

I’m not going to understate our current position. There were many out there who rightly said after our opening fixtures that it was conceivable that our 2’s would get promoted and our 1’s would be back in Derbyshire….. you couldn’t have been more wrong.

Our 2’s are still proudly top of the Derbyshire league and stand a great chance to come in to Midlands but there was never a chance we would continue with our early results and go down.

We knew we had it in us to turn around our early season poor form and have shown over our last 7 weeks what we are about with 5 wins and 2 draws (both of which we could and should have won)

I have no problem in saying to all reading this report that I believe this group of 12 players today have a claim to be the BEST 12 players to have ever put on a Derby shirt.

Week after week they show such passion, and more importantly pride when they put on the Derby 1’s shirt. I’m a very lucky coach to have such a dedicated bunch of players to work with.

OK Enoughs enough…………….. I’m boring you all now LOL

Final bits to add are:

Man of the Match

Lara Parker

Donkey

Amanda Petrie

Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller 388290_321472571196387_100000009416931_1303121_180359886_n

Fantastic Day ladies, great Secret Santa session and now 3rd in the league.

See you all soon

Yours,

Knackered of Sutton in Ashfield.

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 am; edited 5 times in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller Empty time to take a rest for a while

Post  ali kerr Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:23 pm

well a great game today - a real rollercoster, but always heading in only 1 direction - 3 more points.
It's so nice to see us continuing to perform well and play fantasitic hockey - AND finally to be coming away with the points! I had so much fun today I'm now needing to sit on the sofa with my feet up (scary sight - thanks Santa). It's a good job Ian's not back yet because I don't think there would be room for him and my new cosy toes dainty footwear.

lots of love to you all for a good christmas.3's good luck next week with your re-arranged fixture -I 'll be there in person if I can, but if not I'll be willing you on
x
Ali

ali kerr

Back to top Go down

Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller Empty Re: Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller

Post  Admin Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Well done girls...you all played brill today and what a great result!!!

Merry Crimbo all and see you in a few Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller Empty Re: Derby Ladies move up to 3rd as they topple Northampton 3-4 in another thriller

Post  Marie Dymond Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:41 pm

What a great day! Really enjoyed the game today and the secret Santa afterwards (love those feet Ali!!).
Everyone played so well today - it was a thoroughly deserved win. Must also say thanks to the coach and management, and the fantastic supporters - it's great to hear people shouting from the side line! Good luck next week girls I'm looking forward to cheering you on.
Hope you all have a good rest and recover from all the little injuries - think we could just about make one fully fit person if we combined all our non injured parts!!
Have a great Christmas and happy new year everyone!
Xxx
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Post  BEX Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:57 am

Another excellent match yesterday everyone! Loved having the supporters there, thought secret santa session was lots of fun and the hockey itself wasn't bad, lol! The hockey in fact was brill :-) it's so much fun playing at the moment.
Look forward to seeing you all well rested and ready to go again after Christmas.
BEX
BEX

Back to top Go down

Post  RachB Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 am

What a game! Exiting, tense at times with some beautiful hockey being played. Great linking up with first touch passes and perfect placed lay-offs....

Andy, I think it's more accurate to say that I was banished to the dug-out as it was decided that I was a bad omen seeing as whenever I was present we gave away our leads... I nipped to the toilet just after half time and we scored 2 goals!! At this point I was accused of being a jinx by more than 1 individual Shocked Thankfully the jinx was broken when we kept the lead and I should be allowed to come and watch again Very Happy

Thanks for letting us come down with you and crash the party - we had a great day although it seemed a little too much for Megan who slept most of the way home lol!

Well done again!

Rach xx

P.S. - Andy, just call me 'Rach' - it's easier to spell.....

RachB

Back to top Go down

Post  nigel Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 am

Well well well, the first half of the season has come to an end. Thank god for that, I need a rest.. Lol

Who'd of thought after the first 3 games we would be sitting 3rd in the league. The management had ever confidence in each and every one of the players that we turn it around, and boy!!! Have we SmileSmileSmile

Having took the decision to give up umpiring and to stand along side coach T as manager at every game has been the correct choice for me. Having umpired for you and not been able to assist in anyway was agonising at some points, which is why I made the choice to stop umpiring.
Ive Loved every minute of every game so far "shouting" at you all, and sometimes the umpires!!!!

Yesterday's game was the best technically we've ever played. Tatics were spot on, but each and everyone of you performed so well. You all deserve boa's SmileSmileSmile well done.

Rest up over the Christmas break. Hopefully see you all between Christmas and new year as we were thinking of getting together. Watch those texts!!! And reply. Jokes

Thanks to Rach and Megan for the support, it's much appreciated. SmileSmile

Happy Manager

Now where's that mulled wine gone!!!!
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyO Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:48 am

What good fun saturday was. the win felt good and seeing the team playing so well together was lovely. thanks rach and megan for shouting along with andy and nigel. the support is a great boost. hopefully i can swap my shift for sat so i can return the favour! (what time is the game anyone?) lots of laughs from secret santa and my prediction was right- i have already lost mine to a 3 yr old!!
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  Joanna Mullis Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:14 am

Wow that soulded like a thriller ladies, well done !

I very nearly came to watch too, it sounds like I missed a treat ! I eagerly awaited confirmation of the result on Sat from coach/manager Smile

I'm so glad you have managed to stick together and turn those results around, sounds like you are now back on form and playing to your potential, long may it continue.

Best Wishes

J
Joanna Mullis
Joanna Mullis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down