Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 3rds win again!

4 posters

Go down

Ladies 3rds win again! Empty Ladies 3rds win again!

Post  hockeyhevva Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 am

We turned up to Willsthorpe early to play against Ashbourne. The seconds were playing before us so we watched and supported, trying our best to pick up some tips for our game ahead.

A warm up and team talk led by Capatain Rachel got us raring to go. We did some training exercises to get our eye in on the ball and goal (you would not believe how tricky this was for some people!...Rachel Lacey who received donkey of the day in the first minute due to just not being able to grasp the complexity of such a challenging exercise!)

Anyways, play commenced and Ashbourne had come out with a young but tough team. We passed the ball around quickly and communicated excellently from the start. Within minutes we were in the attacking D and had been awarded a short corner. With Rachel Huskisson pushing out, the ball came out hard and myself and Captain Rachel seemed to watch it in slow motion pass straight through us (possibly worthy of second place Donkey!) However, we had back up and once again the ball found it's way into the D and a second short corner was awarded. Unfortunately, after a strike in, no one could quite find the end of it to make it 1 - 0.

We continued to have the majority of play and pushed hard towards the goal. There were some excellent runs between Julie Ann and Gemma on the right but once again we couldn't quite finish it off.

Jo, Emma and Rachel Huskisson worked the ball up the pitch beautifully, passing it around and finding the Ashbourne defender's feet to get awarded another short corner.

Rachel H pushed out to me, I attempted a strike but the Ashbourne goal keeper kicked it away. However the ball found Ashbourne's feet again and yet another short corner was awarded. Surely this time we could do it!...

Rachel Huskisson pushed the ball out to myself, I slipped it left to Captain Rachel, who took a shot towards goal, just going a little too wide but Rachel Huskisson was there, stick at the ready and the ball found itself inside the goal! Fantastic finish! 1 - 0!!!

We continued to attack hard and Molly and Gemma worked the ball brilliantly up the side line on the right and were awarded a free hit just outside the D. Molly took the ball quickly and passed it to Emma who took a shot on goal...2 - 0!!!

Hmmm at this point I'm struggling... Chris has written the words...'missed 3rd goal, was looking after subs'.... o bother! I believe what happened was another lovely run up the pitch and some excellent passes between midfield and the forward line. Christina got the ball to Emma in the D, who knocked it in the goal to make it 3 -0!

Although we did have the majority of play Ashbourne did break through at times but the defence had it under control with Hilary or Annie clearing out any loose balls.

At half time we reminded ourselves that we were the better side and to keep pushing hard and get more goals.

A somewhat frustrated and a slightly aggressive Ashbourne team came out in the second half. They had a few breaks but Hilary wouldn't let them through and the ball always found itself back up into our attacking half.

I even decided to have a little wander up the pitch, dodging the swiping sticks of Ashbourne (I'd like to think the theme tune of Indiana Jones was playing at this point!) Anyway I managed to get the ball to Julie Ann who pushed it across the D to Jo, who finished a well worked team effort with a beautiful goal.. 4 - 0!

Ashbourne tried to attack back and they won a short corner. Rachel L quickly ran out and managed to deflect a shot. Jo had come back for support and helped clear the ball, keeping the situation under control.

There were more runs up the pitch by Derby and we continued to pass the ball around cleanly, switching it when necessary. More short corners were awarded but Ashbourne's keeper was determined and did her job incredibly well.

Not long before the end we had another short corner which was executed brilliantly, finding it's way from Captain Rachel to Gemma on the right post who knocked it in, only to be saved on the line between an Ashbourne defender's thighs! Penalty!

Bravely, Captain Rachel did us proud and stepped forward (no one else was willing to!...maybe something we should practice for such occasions ladies!) Anyways, Rachel took the penalty beautifully. She flicked it on target, but the keeper got her pad to it in what was a brilliant save.

The game ended 4 - 0 and it was a well deserved win. All of the team played well together and communicated brilliantly. There were some beautiful runs and passes between midfield and the forward line. Defence stayed strong and cleared any suspect balls...those that did reach Megan were kicked away with no problem!

Man of the match was a joint award going to both Emma and Hilary. Both played an excellent game as always!

Thank you to Dave for umpiring as well as all friends and family for supporting. Thank you to the seconds for supporting as well!

Well played ladies! Bring on next week!

hockeyhevva

Back to top Go down

Ladies 3rds win again! Empty Re: Ladies 3rds win again!

Post  RachB Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:26 am

Sorry Chris for messing up your note taking - I told you that the job of guardian of the rotations was a tough one but wow did you do it well. You have now been promoted to unofficial team manager as you did so well! The rotations gave me such a headache on Thursday night but despite Julie-ann's knock it worked out brilliantly.

I think that during the first half of the game we played the best I have seen the ladies 3rd team play since I've been at the club. We lost our way a little in the second half but I think that might have had something to do with the effort we had been putting in and tiredness setting in. We had a squad yesterday that would not look out of place in the second division and would probably hold its own in the first division! It was a brilliant team effort with some lovely passing, great communication, pace and pressure on the opposition. Had it not been for their keeper having a great game we would have no doubt had another 3.

Really sorry I couldn't make it 5 for us... I was gobsmacked that the keeper got her stick to it, time seemed to go in slow motion as she juggled the ball with the tip of her stick just to tip it around the outside of the post - had it not been dead play I think I would have had time to knock the ball in the goal in that time.

Well done to those that picked up the warm-up routine quickly - those who were at training last week did have the upper hand there! I think the warm up made all the difference this week as we came out harder from the whistle than we ever have before. Just a small plea - next time can we please (all of us) get to the pitch at the arranged meet time so that we can warm up together and I don't have to keep repeating the team talk... moan over....

Thanks to everyone for the support - it does make a difference! And thanks to David Ellis who had a brilliant game as umpire, to be fair both umpires were excellent and it really contributed to how much fun the match was! Thanks also to Matt Parker for coming along to take photos - I can't wait to see them!

Staveley are still 3 points behind us, we have to go up there bright and early next Saturday and we need to be ready for a battle - bring it on!

RachB

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyO Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Nice result thirds. well deserved win by the sound of it. keep it going.
KellyO
KellyO

Back to top Go down

Post  Joanna Mullis Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:25 am

Two very minor amendums to your report Heather.
Christina passed a great ball to me on top of the D and I put it on Emma's stick in the D
and; I believe Emma passed the ball across the D that I tapped in for the 4th goal.

Well Done ladies, you played a good match and you throughly deserve to be top of the table.
Joanna Mullis
Joanna Mullis

Back to top Go down

Post  hockeyhevva Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:31 am

Lol! Well apologies jo for not getting the finer details all that correct. I don't remember most of any game so Chris kindly writes notes for me (as well as supporting the team every week and making substitutes) so I think he can be forgiven for getting two very minor details wrong.

The thing I try and emphasise in my match reports is that we play as a team and every goal is a result of a team effort. Hopefully everyone who reads them would agree.

hockeyhevva

Back to top Go down

Post  Joanna Mullis Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 am

I quite agree Heather, I did say they were very minor ! Nobody can capture all the details, for instance I was distracted when Boothy's Flick was given and right upto the moment just before it was taken, so I couldn't have made any comments on that at all ! Your reports are excellent, always a good read and capture the sprit of the game perfectly. You and Chris do a great job x
Joanna Mullis
Joanna Mullis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down