Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League Record falls for Ladies 1st XI after win No 18

Go down

League Record falls for Ladies 1st XI after win No 18 Empty League Record falls for Ladies 1st XI after win No 18

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:33 am

Make a note of this date in your diaries

Saturday 9th February 2008

Derby Asterdale Ladies 1st XI

break the league record for the most consecutive wins in the
Derbyshire League with an incredible 18 on the bounce
after beating Rolls Royce 2-1

What a day for the club as history was made thanks to an unbelievable team effort from a totally committed group of ladies.

The nerves were very evident prior to the game as the enormity of what was within this teams grasp started to hit home.

A nervous start saw Derby chasing shadows as a very improved Rolls Royce team set about the Derby defence and dominated the opening ¼ of the game with some very slick movements from a well drilled side. It was no surprise that Rolls Royce took a deserved lead on 10 minutes after a goalmouth scramble left the Royce forward open to slot home with ease.

With Derby very much on the back foot the Rolls Royce team mounted wave after wave of attacks and with the use of their rolling substitutes the pressure for the 1st time this season was almost relentless on the Derby backs.

But on 20 mins Derby showed just how dangerous they can be when from a breathtaking counter attack move involving no fewer than 6 Derby players moving the ball out of the back line and through midfield at pace, it was Taran who was to settle a few nerves with a close range shot drifting inside the post to level at 1-1.

Derby though continued to turn over the ball and just couldn’t get into the flowing Hockey they are capable of and the ½ time whistle just couldn’t come soon enough.

At ½ time a sterner talk than is usual from Coach Taylor was required to settle the ladies and the result began to be evident from the restart as Derby began to play the ball around and retain possession much better.

Rolls Royce though too would not give up and thanks to several impressive saves from the Derby Keeper Lisa the scores remained at 1-1 up until just 15 minutes to go.

As Derby began to put more pressure on the Rolls Royce goals, again a goalmouth scramble found top scorer Anna Neilson this time open, and she somehow managed to scramble the ball passed a belligerent Rolls Royce Keeper and Defence to take Derby into the lead for the 1st time at 2-1.

With the clock winding down for what seemed an age, chances came and went for Rolls Royce thanks to Keeper Lisa’s superb performance in goal.

On the final whistle the joy was somewhat muted as to a player, the whole team left the pitch with complete exhaustion after what was without doubt the hardest game they have had all season.

Coach Taylor Commented:

The team certainly did not play to their full capabilities today and the unavailability of Captain Marie Dymond this week and with Donna dropping a slab on her foot last night also not playing we had to re-shuffle the side into an unfamiliar formation that almost didn’t work for us.

But in the end through absolute guts and determination we did it!!!!

There are one or two players I want to mention.

Lisa

Player of the Match, you were absolutely outstanding today fending off the dangerous onslaughts with incredible agility and calmness, Brilliant.

Kath

You still managed to run the midfield and caused the opposition serious problems despite not having Marie with you today and your Leadership was superb.

Taran

Playing up front is not all about scoring goals, I noticed the incredible work load you put in today. The almost relentless running today from you caused the Rolls Royce defence huge problems and you always appeared to be there for our midfield to find you. A certain 9/10 performance.

I could go on and on but space on the site is at a premium!!

I do have to confess that after the game whilst in our huddle, seeing all the players flat out in total exhaustion, then the look on their faces as I reminded them of the history they have created today, and then as the realisation took hold a few exhaustive cheers from those that could still breathe, was more touching than you could realise for me.

I had to leave straight after the game but there was a tear running down my cheek as I walked to the car from a very very very proud coach.

Andy Taylor

Ladies 1st XI Coach
cheers Derby Asterdale Hockey Club
cheers
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down