Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!!

2 posters

Go down

Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!! Empty Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!!

Post  Chris Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:22 pm

It was with some trepidation that we travelled down to the notably difficult to find Norman Place road pitch for a 3pm start against Sikh Union Coventry. Our cause was not going to be aided by the fact that Coventry City were playing at home in the FA Cup. However our largest set back turned out to be our goal keeper Paul Webb who was still asleep at our meet time. Fortunately for us the umpires were even later than us and we started the game having had ample practice.

From the start Derby played cautiously but managed to pin Sikh Union into there own half for the first 10-15 minutes which resulted in an early goal. However with the sun low and in our eyes, Sikh Union started to build up several attacks. Our caution proved not to be the best approach against a slow yet skilful opposition. By half time Sikh Union had levelled the score line to 1-1.

However in the second half Derby started to up the tempo and use the sun to our advantage to come out 5-3 winners. The five goals were scored by Pete Chesney with a hat-trick, Matt Bunker and Chris Towner. The goal of the match was scored by Chris when a ball was effectively passed down the right and neatly played into the D with some tidy one two’s for Chris to lob the keeper. I have to mention at this point Pete’s brilliant work in this play otherwise I will receive more abuse in this forum! tongue

What really impressed me in today’s game was the way that Derby turned the frustration of seemingly biased umpiring into a determination to win. And although there was some appealing against the umpires decisions, the Derby players often chose to quickly reset so as not to loose their focus. There was particularly good linking up between Richard Beeching and Patrick Chambers up the right side. Matt Bunker and Mike Stott worked tirelessly in the centre of the pitch with Mike putting pressure on Sikh Union by keeping the tempo high. In the defence Darren Howard worked hard despite getting hit twice and Ian McWilliams made some amazing tackles. Up the left wing Antony Crooks is now starting to show some form. In fact the score line should have been 6-3 if Antony’s goal hadn’t been unfairly disallowed. The umpire stated the ball had been “lifted into the D” when Chris safely chipped the ball over the defender’s stick. Man of the match this week is a tie between hat-trick scorer Pete Chesney and our resident utility player Ian McWilliams.
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!! Empty Re: Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!!

Post  Pete Ches Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:35 am

I reckon you should email me your match reports to verify before posting! lol! It was my deft pass to Anthony that was ruled to be dangerous, even though it was well under a foot off the ground- just enough to go over the defenders stick, and they didnt blow til after the goal had been scored (coincidence???)... Oh, and im insulted that you keep confusing me with Nutkins, I'm not going "thin on top" too am I?! affraid

I'd just like to underline how shocking some of the umpires decisions were, its fair enough when umpires give rubbish decisions both ways, yesterday they all went againt us... Evil or Very Mad Oh, and Nutkins goal really was well taken, never knew he had it in him... and it wasnt a weird backstick slap thing for once!

Still, a good win, even though we made hard work of it. Just hope that we can get a team out next week... any news about Webby going to Newcastle? Or is he talking out of his rear-end?

Pete Ches

Back to top Go down

Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!! Empty Re: Men’s 3rds turn frustration into determination to win 5-3!!!

Post  Chris Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:18 am

I also forgot to mention how lame your penalty stroke was Cheasey. It was lucky for you the goalie fluffed it. We therefore decided to award your 3rd goal to Anthony.
lol!
Chris
Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 pm

cheers 4 tht goal 2 b awarded 2 me afta tht shockin foul on me Evil or Very Mad my knee still hurts

anthony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down