Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens 3rds Vs Worksop 31/01/09

4 posters

Go down

Mens 3rds Vs Worksop 31/01/09 Empty Mens 3rds Vs Worksop 31/01/09

Post  John Mann Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:46 am

This week’s fixture against Worksop away found stand in Captain John Mann battle against the odds to find a keeper before a whistle was even blown. Seb had been pulled to 2nd team duty and the 3rds left with no obvious available keeper. The result was to lead by example and for the Captain to step into the breach.

Worksop have not shown any form this season and are firmly sitting at the bottom of the league. Naturally, Derby were hoping for a convincing win to remain joint league leaders pushing for promotion. We are all mindful that Tamworth are close behind and anything less than a win could result in promotion going to the wire on points and goal difference.

Unfortunately the loss of our keeper was not Derby’s only set back with a last minute loss of our midfielder Sam Taylor due to sickness and no extra club players we had a 10man squad against a team looking to upset our flow.

The pre-match talk was for Derby to continue the form of strong passing and to keep communication and movement off the ball. Naturally the nerves were showing and need to take control of the match early on. My usual spirit of motivational words of wisdom like “simple hockey” and “get a goal” gave Paul Neilson the added comfort that Chris was back next week.

I decided formation had to be attacking so a 3 4 2 setup was a choice made with confidence of early Derby goals. However, Worksop from the whistle were confidant and scored within 10 minutes to take a 1 – 0 lead which in turn fired up the Derby players. Jez Sear provided his usual calm in central midfield to allow Pete Chesney and Matt Brennan offensive attacks from either side of the D. Sadly the Half time whistle had blown.

Huddled in the goal the players informed me that Worksop had an illegal player who had already played the league match prior to ours. A complaint to the Umpires resulted in a sending off to reduce Worksop to an even 10 men opposition. However, all were aware to take less time rushing passes and to remember, “it’s a game of two halves” had us in high spirits.

What followed showed the pure spirit of the 3rds players. An equaliser from Kyle Sev gave this non-keeper the relief the tables were turning. Not to be disappointed a strong pass from Pete to Sundeep Mann saw a supurb hit across goal to find a Derby lead 1-2. Againt my strong protests from the goal mouth a new Worksop player was allowed onto the pitch to restore a 11 man opposition. The umpires waved play on and Derby were finding a more defensive team looking for a breakaway goal. Two shots saved to keep our 1 goal cushion saw what was pure skill by Jez at the other end. What seemed like an eternity of dribbeling around players in the D found a final walk across the line and to give Derby a well deserved 1-3 advantage.

Next weeks match is away at Leamington but with the resolve of a squad that had the odds stacked against us yesterday rarely is a question asked can anything prevent our ambitions to win promotion and the league?

The final whistle had blown and Derby were thrilled with what could have destroyed the season’s hard work to date. The umpires admitted that the Worksop team should not have had been allowed a return of 11men but wanted to give them a fighting shot! I consider this totally unacceptable and will be seeking advice from the club on potentially raising a complaint.

Not to distract from what was still credit to all of the squad and to name a man of the match, as all had a great game, is difficult but it is awarded to Ian McWilliams who enabled the a strong Derby attacks and was pushing hard to defend our lead throughout the game.

Gladly a return of normal service will follow with the return of Chris Packer next week and I hope never to venture away from an outfield position again.

John Mann

Back to top Go down

Mens 3rds Vs Worksop 31/01/09 Empty Re: Mens 3rds Vs Worksop 31/01/09

Post  nigel Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:43 am

A good performance in the circumstances...!!!!

From the MRHA rules

7.9 “Doubling-up” of players (i.e. playing in 2 league matches on the same day) is prohibited
except where this has been sanctioned in advance by the Divisional Secretary of the
lower team concerned. This prohibition also applies where the player in question may be
playing out of his normal position e.g. a goalkeeper appearing as an outfield player.

If you would of lost, then I would of considered the club writing to the league, however a win is a win Razz
I personally wouldn't take it any futher... only my opinion though.

Nigel
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mann Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:01 am

Thanks Nigel

I agree given that Tamworth lost to ease some pressure on the points front Cool

John Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Ches Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Great result considering the circumstances, no keeper, 10 players, horrid slow sandy pitch. Mad
Tamworth lost on saturday, which makes our win against the odds all the more important. I just hope that the club will offer the 3rd team (and its captain) the support it needs in future games- this is a very important season for us, we've been languishing in this division for far too long.

Pete Ches

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Taylor Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:32 am

Totally agree with the decision NOT to follow through with the complaint.

It is worth noting for all concerned though that when a player plays 2 games the Donar Team as well as the Recipient Team get deducted 3 pts.

With that in mind anyone who does double up runs a huge risk for their club - and is a CHEAT !!
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down