Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens 5ths versus Burton 6ths 28/2/09

Go down

Mens 5ths versus Burton 6ths 28/2/09 Empty Mens 5ths versus Burton 6ths 28/2/09

Post  Derek Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:44 pm

First of all well done to the 4ths for taking the league title last week. I hope I can get another game with you before the season finishes.

The 5ths took on Burton 6ths at Uttoxeter today following another narrow defeat last week to West Bridgford. It was a great experience to see the shock on so many faces last week when we took the lead, just a shame we couldn't hold on. So the 5ths are in obvious need of a boost to their confidence which hopefully came today with a gutsy 1-1 draw.

Burton can be quite a classy outfit and applied a lot of pressure in the first half when we found it difficult to get out of our own D. If we had been able to keep the score to 0-0 at half time we thought they might start to get frustrated and give us a chance to counter attack. That plan failed after about 33 minutes when Burton took a deserved lead, scoring from close range.

Credit to the players, I think some heads may have dropped last week but this week we were definitely up for the challenge although it was difficult to see at half time how we could salvage the game or should we just try to restrict Burtons final goal tally.

However as the game went on we started to venture tentatively into Burton territory and even managed to get a short corner. The skip made a mess of this but made amends when he received a beauty on the edge of the Burton D and fired an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net for the equaliser in the style of the aforementioned Mark Whatling.

Well done lads that was a great team performance.

Derek

Derek

Back to top Go down