Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style

3 posters

Go down

Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style Empty Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:31 am

Staveley Ladies 1st XI 0 - 6 Derby Ladies 1st XI

So after another great campaign we came to today’s final Midlands league match of the season away v Staveley.

Only 12 players today – including BIG FOOT (picture on web site soon) - on the team sheet but spirits were very high as safety had already been assured following last weeks victory over Matlock, but I wasn’t taking todays game lightly, only 3 points and a convincing win would do, a view that was shared by the whole team.

From the off Staveley set out on a damage limitation exercise with very very defensive but quite agressive tactics, at times we had 19 players inside their 25 mtr line and just couldn’t find a way through.

On 3 occasions inside the 1st 20 mins Helena made fantastic lead runs but unfortunately with the through balls pace being held up on the very sandy surface her deflections lacked the killer finish and Staveley just held on for their lives.

But we didn’t have to wait long for the breakthrough, a foul on Kelly on the 25mtr line saw her follow team orders and take a quick self pass, she took the ball forward the required 5 mtrs as Staveley just stood and watched, her pin point pass found Kath open inside the area and she took her opportunity with ease as she slotted home the first goal passed a helpless and annoyed keeper.

Staveley 0 – 1 Derby 24 mins

As Staveley restarted you felt the confidence beginning to rise within the whole Derby team after that opening goal. Some fantastic 1-2 play down both wings constantly tore Staveley to pieces and they just couldn’t get a legal stick on Helena, Kath, Kelly and Ali in midfield. Their only method to counteract our now rampant midfield play was through some quite robust tackling, but we didn’t give in to these tactics and just continued to play our own game.

On 30 mins another great breakthrough from Laura Skaife found Rachael out wide, her first effort saw the ball knocked off the end line for a long corner. Rachael’s quick thinking saw her again use the self pass, take the ball forward and slam a pass through to Anna who deflected the ball with great poise passed the keeper.

Staveley 0 – 2 Derby 30 mins

½ time came and a quick chance to re-group and re-emphasise our tactics.

From the re-start Staveley started to ‘have a go’ at us in many differing ways ranging from very robust tackling to instances of foul and abusive language, it certainly wasn’t that sort of game but it did for a while disrupt our flow as for 15 minutes we just couldn’t get a hold of the game again, but you did feel it was just a matter of time before our game came back.

For me the goal of the game came on 50 minutes. As Taran made another great lead run the ball was crashed into her some 6 yards out from goal, with her back to the keeper, she spun on the spot 540 degrees and slotted the ball home passed a team standing in awe of the skill shown. Great Goal.

Staveley 0 – 3 Derby 50 mins

Constant pressure now from Derby as we went all out for goals. On 58 mins our 8th Penalty corner was awarded, from the set play the Staveley keeper managed to stop Anna’s attempt but it was Kath Lee following up to take the ball from the keepers pads and slot home her 2nd and Derbys 4th of the match.

Staveley 0 – 4 Derby 58 mins

We didn’t have to wait long for Kath’s well deserved glory moment. On 63 Minutes from another PC again it was Kath who reacted 1st to pick up the loose ball following Laura Skaifes attempt on goal to slap home another great goal securing her Hat-trick.

Staveley 0 – 5 Derby 62 mins

With the game well and truly over it was left to Anna to finish things off with another fantastically deflected goal from a great wing pass just 8 yards out to seal the win.

Staveley 0 – 6 Derby 65 mins

The whistle blows, the games over, there are huge smiles all round, a great team performance and another great league win.

Summary

There were 12 great performances today, the backs of Amanda, Skipper Marie, Theresa and a quite brilliant performance from Laura Skaife kept every Staveley attempt at bay with terrific calm and collected play,

The Midlfield of Super Kath, Kelly, Ali, Helena and (hang over) Rachael just left Staveley in their wake, and the forward pairing of Anna and Taran just never stopped all day, both scoring and both creating great space for the Midlfield to work in.

Its difficult to measure Lisa’s performance today as she did have little to do, but when called upon she stepped up to the plate with the same authority we have seen all season. (At this point I think i am supposed to state "you were awsome Lisa")

The goals were very pleasing for me. So many great lead runs, so many attempts and conversions via deflections, so much calmness and assured play in the ‘D’ , well worth our 6 goals.

It’s a great way to finish the season with 4 wins from the final 5 games, Ashbourne, Loughborough Students, Matlock and now Staveley all falling to this great team.

Very happy but knackered coach tonight.

Man of Match (Wig of Wonderment) Kath Lee – great hat-trick

Goals:

0-1 Kath 24 mins (op)
0-2 Anna 30 mins (op)
0-3 Taran 50 mins (op)
0-4 Kath 58 mins (op)
0-5 Kath 62 mins (op)
0-6 Anna 65 mins (op)

Full in depth season report will follow soon.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style Empty Re: Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style

Post  Admin Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Fantastic game all, once again!!!

Kath - great hatrick today, well deserved. Taran, Anna well played on your goals as well. cheers

Just one point I want to make regarding this season. It's been an absolute pleasure playing with you all this year. I think our team spirit and commitment has been amazing. I'm actually really sad it's finished Sad

Here's to the end of season dinner! drunken
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style Empty Re: Kath Lee at the 1-2-3 as Ladies 1st XI finish season in style

Post  Admin Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:22 pm

P.S, Pics will be on the website soon!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marie Dymond Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:39 am

I agree with Lisa! Another fantastic performance to end a great season - well done everyone, we deserved to stay in this league.

I'm really sad the season has ended as well, but I can't wait for the next one! I honestly believe that we can finish in the top 3 next year.

See you all at the dinner,

Marie
xx

ps the pictures are great, but there are so many of them!
Marie Dymond
Marie Dymond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down