Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby 1 - 1 Australia

Go down

Derby 1 - 1 Australia Empty Derby 1 - 1 Australia

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:31 am

REPORT SENT TO DERBY TELEGRAPH

As pitch side temperatures soared to 35 degrees, Derby Asterdale Hockey Club completed the greatest day in the clubs history with a momentous 1-1 draw against the visiting Australian Veterans team which was full of ex-internationals at Trent College on Saturday.

The game started at a blistering pace with the Australians the first to settle, playing the ball around with ease but the Derby Girls were not letting them have it all there own way with outstanding contributions from Captain Marie Dymond at full back and Kelly Olubodun along side her snuffing out most attacks.

The Aussie’s did however score first after just 12 mins, a slick move from their own 25 saw them just 4 passes later find an unmarked forward 10 yards out from goal who was able to slip the ball passed the helpless Derby keeper for a 1-0 lead.

Derby’s glory moment came in the 2nd period from an incredibly high quality goal of their own. Following a tight move out from defence, Kelly Olubodun found herself to the left of the Australia Circle some 20 yards out, she spotted the right wing hook run from Man of the Match Alison Kerr, a bullet of a defence splitting pass saw Ali driving in at full pace and calmly deflected the ball 1st time past the Aussie keeper for the goal the whole of Derby were wishing for. Derby 1-1 Australia.

The rest of the game was a very tense affair of end to end Hockey but Derby matched their illustrious opponents in so many areas of the game. As the final 5 mins approached it was Derby that were unlucky not to snatch victory as Australia cleared off the line on 2 occasions, but as the final whistle blew it was Derby who were celebrating, holding Australia in this great match.

Coach’s comments

The nerves in the 1st period were there for all those watching to see. After the Aussies scored the early goal the girls could easily have gone into a defensive mode and wilted under the pressure, but the strength of character shown was remarkable.

Marie Dymond led the back line in potentially her best ever game for the club, Kath Lee in Midfield was superb and young Lizzy Honarmond was devastating with her pace.

The goal though was just perfect. We have practiced this move over and over again at training and to see it come off with such style and precision in a game like this was testimony to all. Kelly’s ball was pin point accurate, Ali’s hook run was timed to perfection and her angle of deflection and strength in her wrist saw the ball crash against the back board for a moment non of us, Ali in particular, will ever forget.

It’s remarkable to think that with just a little more luck we could have come off the pitch today with a win, but don’t get me wrong the draw was a great achievement.

After the game every player was totally drained, there wasn’t an ounce of fuel left in any tank. Each member of todays’ squad deserves the highest of praise, this is something that may never happen again for our club and they did us all proud.

I want to thank those that made the effort to come along to support, to Nigel for being my assistant for the day and his huge help in the organisation, to Helena for her persistence in getting the pitch and conference rooms sorted through Trent and Mrs Howarth for the food.

It was also great to see our Club Chairwoman there to do the presentations and the important hospitality to the Australians, something they were very grateful for.

My final thanks go to all those ex-players that got in touch with good luck messages, from Sally Fenton through to Andy Knight (ex 1st XI men’s Captain), to David Faulkner Performance Director at England Hockey for his support and all others that got in touch.

In closing I want to say the biggest thanks of all to the players. This was a day that will live long in the memories of all of us. Your effort, your commitment, your understanding is something I will never forget.

A great day for Derby Asterdale Hockey Club.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down