Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley

4 posters

Go down

Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley Empty Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley

Post  shezza Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:10 am

Well, we all knew this game was not going to be pretty but after having felt sick with nerves all morning and having a couple of key players missing, then came the phone call from Rachel of "I've got some bad news for you" - Anna couldn't play - arrrrrrrgh I thought. This was a major blow to the proceedings (Anna we all wish you well in your recovery). This took us down to 11 but Rachel Booth very very kindly repeated the trip to Chesterfield to bench for us - thanks again Rach!

As the game started Staveley were everywhere. At one point I thought they had more than eleven as our usually tight marking was all over the place and there seemed to be players free continuously. We were consistently pressured as despite their foul language and attitude, Staveley were a very skillful and well-organised side. Unfortunately we just could not play our usual game and the slow, sand-ridden pitch didn't seem to help matters.
Ellie did some brilliant saves throughout though and the backs kept Staveley from scoring. Theresa then sustained a blow to the kneecap and Rachel kindly stepped in to help but Staveley just kept on coming at us!! HOWEVER - just before half time in a flash of brilliance and completely against the run of play, CAROLINE did a reverse stick chip over the Staveley keeper (not sure where that came from - perhaps it was from Phil's flick over the stick bag training maneouvers) and 1-0 it was!!

HALF TIME

We did improve in the second half and seemed to settle down a bit...unlike Staveley who degenerated into their usual foul-mouthed selves. Thanks to Phil for keeping control of the game in a fair and unbiased way and issuing cards as appropriate! The anger seemed to be initiated from the fact that Staveley had two goals disallowed but Phil kept his composure and liased with the Staveley umpire who fortunately agreed with him.
The piece de resistance came from a penalty corner with a handy one two between Val and Tracy (pre-planned by saying "shall we do it shall we do it - oh go on then) which resulted in Val's strike which slipped between the keeper's feet. Ooops - 2-0.

Although we did have plenty of attacking play - it just didn't seem to gel in the D - obviously due to the change in the team and Staveley preventing us from our usual tactics but we never gave in and thanks to the resilience of everyone especially the defence and most definitely Ellie the keeper the score remained at 2-0.

At the end of the day - a cliche I know but it's the goals that count and WE WON!! Still top of the league with another difficult game next week against newly second in the table Matlock 3rds.

Man of the match was Ellie - she really shone today and did repeatedly excellent saves.

Thanks to Rachel for helping us out. MUCH APPRECIATED.

shezza

Back to top Go down

Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley Empty Re: Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley

Post  RachB Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:44 am

Well done you guys! You fought really hard to hang on to that win and totally deserved it. I can safely say that the pitch at St Mary's is awful and you wouldn't be out of place with a windbreak and a bucket & spade.

I enjoyed my 2nd trip of the day to Chesterfield Smile I know how you were feeling Sheridan and only having 11 players wasn't an option... obviously I am a poor replacement for Anna but I was a body. I know that one of you guys would have done it for us if the tables were turned. Anyway I had heard so much about Staveley 1sts that I was a bit intrigued and wanted to see how horrible they were with my own eyes Wink

Lisa and I enjoyed supporting you on the sideline - particularly when Phil sent Janet Street Porter off for crawling back over the half way line at the end of the game! Phil had a great game and was spot on when he disallowed those goals (...as someone who has a habit of lifting short corner strikes...).

Well done - take pride when looking at that league table!

RachB

Back to top Go down

Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley Empty Re: Ladies 2nds pull off a cheeky 2-0 win at Staveley

Post  Anna Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:05 am

Very sorry for letting you all down last minute (it hurt a lot I promise!! Don't think I'd have been much use on one leg!)

Congratulations on yet another win to keep on top of the table. 100% record!! Sorry to have missed your (by the sounds of it) spectacular yearly goal Caroline!! cheers
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Taylor Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 am

Great result ladies, just keep it going now.

Staveley is never an easy place to go and get something but to come away with another win is superb.

Good on you all.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down