Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1

3 posters

Go down

Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1 Empty Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1

Post  Val Cole Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 am

DOWN TO THE WIRE

As most of you know a win today would have seen us win the league, but that would have made the next few weeks far less interesting. We gathered at 9.30 (punishment for not attending training!) and warmed up well. Missing Lucy and Gemma to work committments and then Jan to injury left us with a shortfall up front but all battled well. Although not playing as fluently as normal we created several chances early on and a penalty corner. Caroline followed up well on Beth's shot and won a rare penalty stroke. Unfortunately for Beth the gk read it well. Staveley played their usual hard, attacking game and our defence was kept very busy. Half way through the first half they won a penalty corner which they mis-hit, pulled out, pushed wide, odd shot which somehow deflected back through Ellie's legs off a defenders stick. This was just not going to be our day, and I was looking forward to another season in Div.1 (only joking boss)

The score stayed this way till half time when we got great support and help from David and Ian. Second half was definitely ours with more composure, and better passing. The defence decided to lock them out of our D and we knew a goal would come. Shez (now starring on the RW) shot hard, and Andy played great advantage as the ball fell to Theresa who made no mistake with the shot. This caused a few problems in their defence and a player got sent off giving us a bit more time and space, but to win today would have spoiled the fun of the next few weeks. Hence the game finished 1-1 and we still have it all to do at Wulfric! The final few minutes saw Sue's knee being used as target practice, and me having missed a soft chance at a penalty corner, showing how hard I can hit the ball with Collette the recipient. Sorry and hope the hand soon recovers.

Yet again this was a solid team performance with everyone playing their part, and votes were spread around the team but MofM went to Beth after some brilliant tackling, and clearances which got us out of trouble on many occasions.

We had fantastic support today and really appreciated it, but just weren't ready to put this season to bed yet. You will all have to come to Burton on the 14th if you want to be there at the death.
Val Cole
Val Cole

Back to top Go down

Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1 Empty So close now

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 am

Well deserved draw today and on the 2nd half performance perhaps unlucky not to win.

I must say I’ve never had to concentrate so much on a game I’ve umpired before, you just couldn’t take your eyes off the match there was always something happening in a high tempo end-to-end encounter.

I agree with you Val that yes the backs played well but in my humble opinion there was one outstanding player, Sheridan.

I thought she was good in the 1st half but outstanding in the 2nd. As the heat started to rise on to the pitch and tiredness set it she was still running at fantastic pace causing Staveley masses of problems and helping to create chance after chance. Her link up play with Collette and all the forwards was exceptional at times and she still managed to cover back when needed. A real Duracell Bunny (reminded me of Ali) but I bet she aches this morning.

I know you would want to have put it away today but your moment will come, be it if Staveley drop a point in either of there last 2 games or it does go down to Wulfric away I’m sure the cub will be celebrating 3 champions at the dinner in a few weeks time.

Well done all and I hate to admit it but I actually enjoyed umpiring this one (don’t get any ideas tough lol)
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1 Empty Re: Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1

Post  nigel Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Well done ladies on your draw yesterday.. SmileSmileSmile

There were a lot of nerves on the pitch and on the sidelines yesterday. You certainly rose to the occasion and the dominant 2nd half performance showed just why you are top of the league. Great display from all, and go on then.... Good advantage for your goal by the umpire!!!

One more game to go, one more
Win and you will be Derbyshire champions. SmileSmileSmile

Keep fighting till the end, and you will get your rewards.

Nigel
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1 Empty Re: Asterdale 2nds 1 - Staveley 1

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down