Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match reports - League request

Go down

Match reports - League request Empty Match reports - League request

Post  Will4 Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:18 am

The latest league circular contained the following article from Peter Cranswick the League Secretary:

We have been concerned for some time about match reports that appear on Club websites. The artistic license that says "our latest defeat was down to bad luck, "their" umpire's decisions" etc etc has in some cases poisoned the atmosphere and led to problems in the return match. However I was not prepared for a report on Nottingham Hockey Club's website of their 2nd XI match against Telford. I remembered the late Humphrey Stokes as I waded through the vitriolic and sustained attack on a Telford umpire that used language that, if repeated in this circular would lead me to being your ex secretary tomorrow and the Midland RHA Council interviewing for my successor from a long queue of applicants. An appalled League Committee requested through our Chairman that the Midland Disciplinary Officer examine the report to see if it brought the game into disrepute. His verdict was that it did and Nottingham Hockey Club has been ordered to pay £200 to the charity of the umpire's choice. The Bobby Moore Cancer Trust will be the recipient.

Peter went on to explain who Humphrey Stoke's was - a fine and distinguished player who played the game at a high level - he recalled that when Humphrey was a captain of Nottingham he became increasingly irritated by a team mate constantly questioning an umpire's decisions. Finally he sent the player off himself saying he would rather play with 10 men than have the umpire's abused!

I'm sure we all enjoy reading each other's match reports - I confess when we played Newark I was (though I shouldn't have been) shocked when tossing up at the start of the game their skipper commenting on how much he looked forward to reading the reports.
So bear in mind that opposition teams want to read what has been happening to their rivals - I know it affected how I wrote up the return fixture in an attempt to give an unbiased view of the game and we should be aiming for an objective view on what happened.
I believe on the whole we are doing this - the only debate we may have started was entirely within the Harrison household and I leave it in Lee's hands as to how he respond's to Will's view in his 1sts v 2nds report of the penalty stroke incident!

Will4

Back to top Go down