Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LDS 1ST XI Derbyshire League winners 2007/08

4 posters

Go down

LDS 1ST XI  Derbyshire League winners 2007/08 Empty LDS 1ST XI Derbyshire League winners 2007/08

Post  Andy Taylor Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:19 am

cheers CHAMPIONS 2007/08 cheers

At last Derby can now relax and enjoy their remaining end of season fixtures after securing the Derbyshire League Championship today against Ilkeston, winning 4-1 thanks to a hat-trick from Anna Neilson.

With an almost full squad available Derby started the game looking like they wanted to finish this off quickly but Ilkeston were not about to lay down without a fight and during the initial exchanges forced Derby back into some last ditch defending with their midfield looking particularly strong.

But on 8 mins Derby got the dream opening when top goal scorer Anna Neilson found herself on the end of a quick counter attack just 4 yds out and slipped the ball under the advancing keeper to open the scoring at 1-0 to Derby.

At this point the spectators expected Derby to settle into their flowing game but the pressure was obviously getting to the players as time and time again they turned over possession unnecessarily much to the annoyance of Coach Taylor.

Each time Derby attacked they looked as though they would score but the Ilkeston Keeper kept the Derby strike force at bay with a string of good saves and with the post coming to there aid on 2 occasions the frustrations were coming to the fore for the Derby side.

On 29 mins from yet another unforced error, the Ilkeston midfield broke and forced their 1st penalty corner of the match. A well pushed out ball saw a terrific strike go through the Derby backs and beat keeper Donna to level the scores at 1-1 and doubts started to creep into the minds of the Derby players if they would managed to get back on top of the game.

On 31 mins an unfortunate accident saw Midfielder Donna Wibberley taken off with a cut just under the eye and ½ time just couldn’t come quickly enough for Derby as the need to re-group was very evident.

For only the 2nd time this season Coach Taylor really had his work cut out at ½ time to get his squad back on track and following a few choice words the team emerged with a passion to get this fixture over and done with.

From the re-start Derby attacked Ilkeston with great pace and skill leaving them at times in their wake but again opportunity after opportunity came and went and still Derby could not force the ball over the line.

On 44 mins though Derby finally broke the Ilkeston defence when following superb wing play from Amanda Petrie she drove at the keeper and unselfishly squared the ball to Anna Neilson to slot home from close range to give Derby the lead 2-1 and hopefully settle the nerves.

For the next 20 mins Derby were almost totally encamped within the Ilkeston ½ and for the 1st time this year they just could not get their well known penalty corner routines going to finish this game off.

With just 6 mins to go though as yet another Derby strike at goal rained in on the Ilkeston net, the keeper missed her clearance and the defender behind her could only stop the ball on the line with her foot to concede a Penalty Stroke.

2-1 up with 6 mins to go and the chance to put Derby on the brink of greatness, who else was to step up but Captain Marie Dymond.

As all stood in anticipation, Marie calmly placed the ball on the spot and gathered her thoughts, remembering everything she had been advised to do knowing that this could be the key moment in a very long journey for this team.

As the whistle blew the next sound heard was the ball crashing against the back-board to send the whole Derby Team and followers into absolute raptures as Derby went 3-1 in front with time almost up.

With Ilkeston now knowing that despite a valiant fight the game was over for them, Derby pushed on right to the end and on 69 mins Derby won their 16th penalty corner.

From the well worked move it was left to Anna Neilson to secure her hat-trick and Derbys victory with a simply taken shot to send Derby to 4-1 and the Derbyshire League Title.

At the final whistle the scenes of celebration spilled onto the pitch with Champagne popping and tears welling in the eyes as Derby completed a fantastic victory securing the title for 2008.

Coach Taylor:

I have been very lucky throughout my hockey life of over 30 years to have experienced many highs but this today ranks right up there with the best of them.

Our 1st half performance was to be blunt at times appalling. If we hadn’t turned over the ball as much as we did this game would have been finished long before it actually was and not scoring from 10 1st half penalty corners was unbelievable. You could see at ½ time the team thought this was not going to be our day but I knew they were just too good for Ilkeston and I had the confidence they would come through in the end…. No honestly !

When you analyse todays stats, 16 penalty corners, frame of the goal hit 4 times, over 30 shots on goal you can get an idea of the pressure this squad exherts on teams.

Anna’s 3 goals today showed that despite the pressure on everyone she still did her job superbly.

Every player in their career dreams of having the opportunity to secure a league title or cup win with a winning goal, but I’ll bet Marie wasn’t thinking that as she stood up to take her stroke. Brilliantly taken goal under so much pressure.

I could go on about each and every player, just how proud of them I am, and what unbelievable attitude and commitment they have brought to the squad, but I will save that for the end of season report on the web.

A great day for every player concerned, a great day for me and a Fantastic Day for Derby Asterdale Hockey Club.

How about this for a statistic for you:

Derby Asterdale Ladies 1st XI are the top goals scorers in England covering all Ladies Hockey leagues with 116 – and 2 games to go! I have far too much time on my hands to do research like this !

I want to thank everyone who came along to support us today, from injured players to ex-players, husbands & wives, parents and children I know the players appreciate the efforts.

Special mention has to go to the ever present Kelly who has umpired for us all season up until the last few weeks & despite being within just a few days now of being due to give birth ,came along to see this great achievement.

NOW SIT DOWN AND BLOODY REST!

We've been panicking she may give birth on the side line for the last 2 games - well it would have been a 1st! If she had given birth I wonder if she would have called it Asterdale! Asterdale Olubodun hmmmm has a certain good ring to it.

Thanks to the umpires too for their superb performance today. The consistancy of decision making enabled this game to flow in the manner we all wish would happen every week.

BUT NOW WE CAN ALL FINALLY RELAX

IRISH BLACK CHAMPAGNE HERE I COME WITH A SPECIAL DRINK FOR ALL THOSE UNABLE TO BE WITH US TODAY!!!

YOURS,

A VERY VERY VERY PROUD COACH

Todays man of the match, a thouroughly deserved one again for KATH LEE

e-mail tayloraa96@hotmail.com

Last edited by Andy Taylor on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

LDS 1ST XI  Derbyshire League winners 2007/08 Empty Re: LDS 1ST XI Derbyshire League winners 2007/08

Post  nigel Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:54 am

Congratulations to the Ladies XI. You have had an excellent season (apart from 2 games!!!) and throughly derserve to be champions.

It's been a pleasure umpiring these last few weeks, and can I personally thank Kelly for filling in for me this season. Your pregancy Kelly coincided really well with my season off. Laughing

Look forward to the last 2 games with no added pressure..... PHEW........

Nigel
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

LDS 1ST XI  Derbyshire League winners 2007/08 Empty Re: LDS 1ST XI Derbyshire League winners 2007/08

Post  Will4 Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:23 am

Well done Ladies - 2 promotions to celebrate at the Club Dinner - it promises to be a good evening!
With the pressure now off the 1sts (and Marie I'm glad to see it's not had the same greying effect on your hair as it did mine!) can we get rent a crowd over to the Ladies 2nds as they battle to keep their rightful place in the top division - I'm sure with our support they can do it!

Will4

Back to top Go down

LDS 1ST XI  Derbyshire League winners 2007/08 Empty Woooo Hooooo

Post  Admin Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:09 am

Very Happy I'm sooo proud of my girls!

Well done all and Andy!

See you all Saturday!

Lisa Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://derbyasterdalehc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

LDS 1ST XI  Derbyshire League winners 2007/08 Empty Promotion

Post  Andy Taylor Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:30 am

Over the previous 72 hours there has been a certain amount of confusion as to Derbys fate following on from this seasons championship winning performance and what is happening next season.

It gives me great pleasure (and relief) to inform everyone that it has now been confirmed officially that Derby HAVE been awarded an automatic place in the MIdlands Feeder league East for the season 2008 / 2009.

Great news for all concerned and for the club as a whole.
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down