Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!)

3 posters

Go down

Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!) Empty Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!)

Post  Will4 Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:57 am

As regular readers of the second team match reports will be aware this was the key game we have been heading for ever since Christmas.
The equation was simple with 2 games to go anything other than a win and we could effectively kiss goodbye to promotion

Leicester University P18 W15 D2 L1 F99 A15 GD84 Points 47
Derby Asterdale P18 W15 D2 L1 F68 A21 GD47 Points 47

Regular readers will also be aware that we have been saving our worst form of the season in the lead up to this game so it was with a certain amount of trepidation that the increasingly grey haired skipper approached this game, but any nervousness was quickly dispelled as Leicester were blown away in the 1st 20 minutes as the midfield and defence gave the Students no time to settle on the ball or establish any rhythm. Even better was that as we broke up their play and broke forward Jamie, Kyle, Steve and Kyle gave their defence nightmares as we hit 3 unanswered goals - Richard hitting 2 from short corners and Rob getting a peach from a near post deflection.

Half time saw a number of reminders that we'd been here before against Newark and ended up drawing - given the Students have scored 99 goals in total this year we had to stay vigilant - a 4th goal from Richard for his hat trick gave us a little more leeway and though some rare slack marking saw the students pull one back with 15 minutes to go, we held our nerve and a late consolation 2nd goal was all too late for the students.

So 4-2, a fantastic result and a real team performance - Richard grabbed the headlines with his hat trick which rightly saw him voted Man of the Match but James Holder pushed him close in the voting - great to see one of the younger players putting in a performance when it really matters - the same could be said for both Greg and Kyle who were definitely up for the game today. But to pick out individuals is really inviduous on a day when everyone played well and the team got the result the Students were magnanimous enough after the game to say that we deserved.

So all we need is a result against Rolls Royce next week to secure promotion - we know Royces would like nothing better than put one over on us but if we play as we did today we have nothing to fear.

Will4

Back to top Go down

Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!) Empty Re: Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!)

Post  nigel Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:12 am

I'd like to say on behalf of both umpires, what a pleasure this game was to umpire. It was played in an excellent spirit by both teams, and a testament to a top of the table clash.

Congrats to Derby, who in my opinion played one of their best games i've seen. Each Derby player put in 110%, led by captain marvel Will and Dicky who scored 3 of the 4 goals. Would of been more not for excellent keeping by the opposition keeper.

Hope you get your rewards next week. PROMOTION!!!

Nigel
nigel
nigel

Back to top Go down

Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!) Empty Congrats

Post  Andy Taylor Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:55 pm

Just wanted to add my congratulations guys on a fantastic result against a very difficult opposition.

Good luck for next week and although you are away from home I'm sure the whole club will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

I expect to hear the cheers at our game up in Ashbourne on Saturday afternoon.

Good luck guys,
Andy Taylor
Andy Taylor

Back to top Go down

Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!) Empty Re: Mens 2nds v Leicester University (winner takes all!)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down