Match Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22/10/11 Mens 2nd Vs Leicester Uni - Wedding Winners

Go down

22/10/11 Mens 2nd Vs Leicester Uni - Wedding Winners Empty 22/10/11 Mens 2nd Vs Leicester Uni - Wedding Winners

Post  John Mann Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:10 pm

This week found a 2nds team needing a win against the bottom of the league to prevent us slipping into relegation.

Derby didn’t get off to the best of starts with only having 10 men available to play. In the true spirit of club support Ian McWilliams arrived as a spare surprise player, post his wedding the day before. This calmed the Vice Captains nerves but not the hangover I was sporting from the day long celebrations. Congratulations Ian and Tara! cheers

So the team talk was simple. Captain John it was for the day, like old times, and to play at our own pace with clear calm communication. Yes, “Simple Hockey”

Leicester Uni were fired up and looked more awake than expected for students. A few rugby tackles and green card shown to the Leicester attacker calmed the game to a well umpired fixture. The first half was a shared amount of possession in all honesty with Alex owning the right wing and Matt P owning the left with Rambo and Dave receiving a number of passes that could and perhaps should have found the net. Credit to the Leicester Keeper must be noted

Dave S returned carrying an injury and unfortunately caused a new one which ruled him out of the remainder of the match. However, his calm in midfield set the game on the right track and hopefully he will be fighting fit again soon. Jez D found this gave him his natural attacking midfield role and space to push the game deep into the Leicester half but was sent off due to a tackle even I cant dispute (sorry Jez but you know Paul had no choice on that one). Thankfully we had the skills of Matt H available to support the need hold the ball until we were back to even numbers.

Leicester Uni had a number of quick turnarounds where Stuart, Tom, Ian and Myself had to time clean tackles. Tom seems to have found a place in left back that suits his game (as Darren H has Knee surgery to recover from this role is now well filled). In true taking your eye off the ball fashion I then preceded to clash heads with a Leicester player and bust his nose and my eye. An apology exchanged each way allowed the game to restart and Rambo soon won a 4th short corner for Derby.

Dave then got the break we needed and took the chance to put us ahead. Leicester pushed back but the game did fizz out until a short corner was correctly awarded in the last seconds of the second half to Leicester. Could the Students snatch an equaliser and prevent the victory at home?

Answer: No such look thanks to Dan showing no sign of letting any shot past him today making the result ours.

Thanks to both umpires! Paul, coming back from a ladies away game to Umpire was hugely appreciated and Peter doubling up.

Man of the Match: Tom, you are now a left back in the making!
Dick of the Day: Jez D, Yellow Card for an obvious rugby tackle on a Leicester player.

John Mann

Back to top Go down